1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a6000 help with configuration needed

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Feb 12, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,

I am trying to do the following with my body but I really can not

1. If I got it right, unfortunately, the memory recall does not allow to have two different button configurations. For example I have enabled the back button focus, since I want to have manual control on everything (99% I shoot at manual mode). At the same time I wanted my wife or friends when they turn the camera on auto mode P, Green or Yellow camera on the dial to have a camera with the defauls (point and click camera). It does not look like I can do that with the memory recall nor have two different alternatives with button selections.

2. In the menus there is memory recall and memory entries. I did not have time nor I think is useful to change anything there (as I wrote in 1, I wanted to have though different button layouts).. But I was wondering what is their difference?

3. I wanted was to have either at Fn virtual menu or in a configurable button the ability toggle on or off the live view display. I keep it turned off in studio (so I can see at iso 100) and turned on when I am shooting on ambient light. Is it possible to have this option or I have always dig into menus?

4. Something that I also did not find in menus,, is when I display a shot (playback buttton) to have two options instead of three to toggle (only full image view with no details, and the one with the histograms). I have not found an option for that

5. Regarding zebra and histogram. There are times that I can see in my histogram that there is no clipping happening (I can even see a small space between my highlights and the right part of the axis (where clipping would happen) but at the same time I can see regions being highlighted by zebra. To be honest I am still not sure how zebra helps.. there are people saying that 100 is already a very safe option (for recovering highlights) and others saying that even 100+. For me right now it bothers me that the histogram does not look to be complying with what the zebra says.

That would be all for now.

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards

Alex

--
    “The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it”
    (written at 1927 by Edward Weston)

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    1. To my understanding you can set up your buttons as you want them to function, but then that applies across the board. They don't change because of memory recall. I really don't understand why someone who wants point and shoot is using (P). Just use one of the Auto modes. The point of (P) is that you want to override settings, not point and shoot.
    2. no difference
    3. There is a "deactivate monitor" setting that can be assigned to a custom button.
    4. When you play back just hit the push "DISP" on the dial to cycle through various displays (plain, with settings , with histo, etc). It will remember the last place you left it.
    5. To my understanding Zebra 0 is black and 100 is white. If this is the case there will be zebras even when there is not a problem since white can be in your picture. I believe that's why people say set to 100+. Either way I believe it is really only useful for video. Just use the histogram. IMO

Hope this helps

3. ryanlio

ryanlio TalkEmount Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    For the back button situation.. I had mine configure from gary friedman tip. Set custom c1 to toggle between mf/af. And disable focus on shutter button pressed. I think it serves the same purpose eventually. . So this "get around" might work for ya.. cheers..

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I believe he has it set up. He is trying to figure out how to have different button configurations based on memory recall. I don't believe that's possible.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    1. My problem is to be able to use my camera with the button I want: that means having my focus dissociated from the fire button as this allows me finer control of focusing. Although this is a nightmare for people in family that want to pick camera and shoot. What they would like is a camera that they can turn on and shoot. And a a6000 camera is also a great camera in full auto mode. Right now as I have configured all the buttons.. none of my family members can use the camera at all any more.. What a pitty

3. Live view meaning showing you live what you are gonna get when you shoot. When is disabled it immitates an optical viewfinder (showing you what your eyes see) which would be different from the exposure settings. For example if it is turned off and shoot at a dim room wit iso 100 you would be still available to see the scene thorugh the viewfinder. If you press the button though you would get a black screen, and this is a very useful feature

4. True but still cycling between the two I need instead of three is a big improvement

6. ryanlio

ryanlio TalkEmount Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Many means to ends. based off end result of using camera for personal setup as well as handing off to someone else as a point n shoot.
    My method base on fred's setup:
    1. To use it similar as to back button focus (that means as per what TS wants to use the camera):
    Index Finger on c1. Switch to af. shutter af to grab focus. Switch back to mf.. fire away.. focus will not shift due to its in mf mode. This is similar to usage on back focus in a sense that focus is fixed.
    2. Now to hand over to someone else to use it as a point and shoot: switch to af and pass to other person. camera will be standard af mode for others.
    Hope this helps.