1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 Has PDAF Support (Sort of) for Sigma Lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dbmiller, May 7, 2014.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    So, I was playing more with the new A6000 camera, and happened to have the Sigma 19mm still on the camera from this past weekend's trip out to Garwin Falls.

I happened to change the Focus Mode from Zone to Wide, and a very different display came up on the LCD. Instead of the normal red/green brackets showing the focus point, I managed to get five little PDAF rectangles flashing at me! They are in an X pattern in the center of the screen, but they are definitely there!

So if someone else with an A6000 wants to confirm what I'm seeing, here are all the AF-related settings I'm using...

• AF-C (Continuous Auto Focus)
    • Focus Area - Wide
    • Lock-on AF - On
    • Display continuous AF area - On
    Don't think these matter, but for completeness...
    • AF Drive Speed - Fast
    • AF Track Duration - Normal
    I couldn't get anything to come up using a manual lens, so it looks like there has to be electronics in the mount. I also notice when I use manual focus (MF or DMF) with the sigma, I get the distance display.

2. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I get the same thing on my A6000 and Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Lens - it's a shame it doesn't cover the entire screen like Most of the Sony Lenses.

I was thinking of buying the 30mm Sigma Art Lens but the lack of full coverage for the faster autofocusing system puts me off.