A6000 Has PDAF Support (Sort of) for Sigma Lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dbmiller, May 7, 2014.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    So, I was playing more with the new A6000 camera, and happened to have the Sigma 19mm still on the camera from this past weekend's trip out to Garwin Falls.

I happened to change the Focus Mode from Zone to Wide, and a very different display came up on the LCD. Instead of the normal red/green brackets showing the focus point, I managed to get five little PDAF rectangles flashing at me! They are in an X pattern in the center of the screen, but they are definitely there!

So if someone else with an A6000 wants to confirm what I'm seeing, here are all the AF-related settings I'm using...

• AF-C (Continuous Auto Focus)
    • Focus Area - Wide
    • Lock-on AF - On
    • Display continuous AF area - On
    Don't think these matter, but for completeness...
    • AF Drive Speed - Fast
    • AF Track Duration - Normal
    I couldn't get anything to come up using a manual lens, so it looks like there has to be electronics in the mount. I also notice when I use manual focus (MF or DMF) with the sigma, I get the distance display.

2. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I get the same thing on my A6000 and Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Lens - it's a shame it doesn't cover the entire screen like Most of the Sony Lenses.

I was thinking of buying the 30mm Sigma Art Lens but the lack of full coverage for the faster autofocusing system puts me off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.