1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A6000 for macro...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Fischmann, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Fischmann

Fischmann New to TalkEmount

May 26, 2014
    I am thinking to build a macro sys based on the A6000 and the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro lens..what do you think about...?..your advice will be appreciated.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sure, why not? There's no reason why this shouldn't work and yield good results. Just don't forget a tripod and optionally a flash or two.

3. Fischmann

May 26, 2014
    Thank you very much Poki..that because the APS-C sensor.......yes..im planning the Sigma EM140 DG TTL ring flash also and the Alta Pro 284 CT w/ Acratech Gp-ss head.
    Welcome other advices and digs...!!

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The APS-C sensor is, for actual macro work, an advantage over larger formats. Why? Because of the insanely high pixel density on many current APS-C sized sensors you get a much higher detail resolution at full 1:1 magnification. But even for smaller magnifications like 1:2, larger sensors wouldn't have any advantage. The diffraction limited resolution is not higher in most cases, and dynamic range and color depth are very close between 35mm and 24mm sensors nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fischmann

May 26, 2014
    Thats because Im thinking about the A6000 over the A7r Poki...

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, sounded like you thought the smaller sensor was a disadvantage.

As it is, you don't do anything wrong with either camera. For life-size reproduction, there won't be any difference worth noting. The A7r has a little more headroom in many other situations though. You must decide whether it's worth the price difference by yourself, though.

7. Fischmann

May 26, 2014
    Not Poki..since I started with this idea I always thought that all APS-C cameras has that sensor advantage..and by the other side, having a 150mm macro lens I will certainly have a 225 focal length...!!

8. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I think that difraction limit is really problem on higher apertures and high density sensors. With 225 mm equivalent tripod is necessary. But background will be nice! I have Sig 150 and Nikkor 105 and I shoot with 105 almost exclusivelly, as I shoot hendheld only... 150 is usable only in really good light and VR on 105 gives me higher succes…

Sent from my ZTE V967S using TalkEmount mobile app

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I use macro lenses quite a bit for product shots (but hardly ever true super-close-up macro photography). With APS-C the crop factor can indeed be an asset - it also gives you higher "virtual" magnification. (i.e. lets you fill the frame with a smaller subject without having to deploy the extension tube). All this is so handy, I sometimes actually use the APS-C capture mode on my full-frame A7.

I like working with the A7 for what I perceive to be truer colors. Diffraction in my experience seems to be about a draw - the shallower depth of field mostly negates any advantage. (At least at similar resolutions - my old NEX-7, the A6000 and my current A7 are all 24MP.)

All said, my old NEX-7 remains a perfectly viable product workhorse. I mostly feel the full-frame advantage for low light, shallow focus candid shots and landscapes - if all I were doing was macro lens product shots, I don't think I could have justified getting the A7.

8860988631_f36a5a6db3_c.
    Geology Series Round Body Bottle Top Vase - NEX-7 w/ Leitz 60mm Macro-Elmarit
    by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    2 with A6000, SAL100M28, Metz ring flash and Sony HVL-F20M:
    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilac5711/14759163452" title="Bombus impatiens - Common Eastern Bumblebee by Patti Worden, on Flickr"> 14759163452_c914f3754d_b. "1024" height="674" alt="Bombus impatiens - Common Eastern Bumblebee"></a>
    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilac5711/14759490465" title="Chrysochus auratus; Dogbane Leaf Beetle by Patti Worden, on Flickr"> 14759490465_f74f72f30f_b. "1024" height="761" alt="Chrysochus auratus; Dogbane Leaf Beetle"></a>
    Nice, lightweight macro combination - both handheld.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Fischmann

May 26, 2014
    Thanks all for your digs... I see all agree the use of a 100-105mm and not a 150-180 as I thought...and yes.. an APSC sensor is an advantage...I have received also a message from Robert Otoole and he suggest that depending the subject a 105 is enough for that sensor and more workable with flash...