a6000 flash wireles mode

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Dec 1, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    in one of the a6000 videos I have seen "Unleashing the power of your a6000" (something like that)
    it looked like that there is a new flash mode that is called "wireless" or something like that.

What is this about and how it differs from normal flash?

Regards
    Alex

2. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    That's TTL infrared triggered flash (requires an Sony flash on the camera, and not the pop-up) and there is dumb slave infrared triggered flash (can use the pop-up to trigger but needs to be set manually). The cheapest Sony flash that will trigger TTL flash is the 40 (circa $140 US).

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I see, so you can not use that with the pop up flash..weird though since this mode is also given to the a5000 that has no hot shoe at all.

4. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    1) Where did you see that video ?

2) Every Sony slightly advanced body (Nex-6 NEX-7, a6000), all Alpha bodies with a built-in flash ( and Minolta before that ) have had some capability like this since 1991. However, with all cameras with built-in flash Sony has introduced for the NEX ILCE series requires the purchase of 2 flashes to achieve this. One used on camera as controller ( can be any HVL-F20M, F43M or 60M ), and a second flash (only HVL-F43M and F60M can be used as remotes in TTL auto mode and manual mode. Previous Sony alpha ( HVL-F36AM, F42AM, F43AM, F56AM and F58AM ) and some late Minolta flashes ( 3600HSD which is same as Sony HVL-F36AM, 5600HSD which is same as Sony HVL-F56AM) can also be used as remotes (some with limitations ) since Minolta actually created the system.

3) the a5000 should have a flash hidden under a little door on top but is a different beast altogether. This can not be used as a controller in the traditional Sony/Minolta system described above.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    1) youtube search "unleashing the power of your alpha 6000" I saw it all.. poor quality for me
    2) so is not for me I would stick to a trigger