1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a6000 - Exposure/Screen Brightness changes when not recording video

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by asadikhan, Apr 28, 2016.

1. asadikhan

asadikhan New to TalkEmount

Apr 28, 2016
    Asad
    I have been using Sony a6000 for a month or so now, and I have used it on a paid gig (3 days long) for some shots, and it worked great. Today, while shooting I changed the frame rate from 60fps to 24fps, and immediately after that I started to notice that the screen showed terribly darker. As soon as I started recording video though, the exposure changed and the footage became very bright. I played the recorded footage back on the camera and it showed what I was seeing while recording. However, anytime I stopped recording, the screen showed much darker exposure.

This had never happened before. I tried googling on my phone but couldn't figure out, which setting I had accidentally changed.

Then, I wanted to look at the histogram to see what to believe. I swear I have seen the histogram before on a6000, but in this case, I couldn't see the histogram either. I tried flipping through the menus, or display button (wheel, up) but I couldn't get the histogram to show.

One other weird thing, if I popped up the flash, the non-recording screen was as bright as while recording screen. I went through bunch of settings on my camera and they all looked good.

So my question is:

1) What setting is causing my screen while not recording to be really dark, and not give the right exposure?

2) Where do I turn on the damn histogram?

Much thanks.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yikes! Have you tried messing around with the "Live View" settings?

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    1) If you have customized your camera setup it might be rather painful, but you could try resetting all your settings - last tab, page six, third item.

2) You choose which displays are in the rotation on the menu, second tab (gear), page 1, DISP Button. Separate settings for Monitor (back) and Finder (viewfinder).

4. asadikhan

asadikhan New to TalkEmount

Apr 28, 2016
    Asad
    I reset all the settings, like you said, no difference.

5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Sorry to hear that. If resetting all the settings did not fix it, I am at a loss to guess what it might be. At this point, if it was me and the camera is still under warranty, I would consider contacting Sony to fix it.

6. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    When you say you reset all the settings, does that include going back to 60 fps ? or is it only behaving strangely when set to 24 fps ?