A6000 error

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Aug 16, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I was shooting with my family and some friends today at a Big Truck Day event that was being held at a local rec center. As I was taking some shots of the kids in the outdoor play area, my a6000 locked up on me and the screen went black with a generic error saying to power the camera off and then back on again. After switching power off a few times without success, I finally had to pull the battery. After inserting the battery again, everything seemed to be fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was using the Sony battery that came with the camera and it still had about 40% remaining at the time. I had been shooting with it all day at a couple of events without any problems.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I had this once on my 6.

Reset and it has not occured since.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, this happened again yesterday. I had the error, had to remove the battery again, and then I could power back up. I shot about 3 more frames and then it happened again. Same symptom and same correction.

Yesterday when I was shooting, I had a fully charged battery and was shooting in the shade. The camera was cool and was not in any direct sunlight, so I don't think heat was an issue. The shooting conditions were different in many ways from the first time I had this problem. One common piece with both of these events was that I was shooting exclusively with the SEL 1670Z, but aside from that, there are not a whole lot of similarities except for: RAW+JPEG, AWB, AF-C, and using the same battery.

Anybody else been seeing this or anyone have heard of this? Have I become "The Lucky One" with Sony E-Mount again??? ;)

4. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    I had the same error approx one week into owning the A6000. Same cure too.

Been flawless since and now 2 months later so fingers crossed it was just a one-off glitch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Fingers crossed for sure!!!

Skipperjonce, do you remember which lens you were using when that happened to you?

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Pretty sure I had the SEL50f18 on at the time. Either that or the SEL35.

8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    This happens too frequently (say, once every other or third day) on my NEX 6. It seems to happen more often to me with legacy lenses.

Wondering -- what lens were you shooting with?

• Like Like x 1
  9. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I was shooting with the Zeiss 16-70 both times. The lens and a6000 are pretty new still. I have been shooting almost exclusively with that combination lateky, so I don't have good comparisons with different lenses to pull from; I think I have shot 1 or 2 frames with my SEL50, a couple more with my SEL55210, about 200 with the SELP1650, and a couple with legacy glass, but the only time I have experienced the issue was with the 16-70.

I never experienced the problem with my NEX 6, but I haven't even mounted the 16-70 on it... I might need to give that a try and see if I can tie it to the lens...

10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    That discussion brings up an interesting thought in the last posting: maybe it has something to do with the SD card. I got a new Sony card to go in the a6000 (I thought I might eek out a frame or two more in bursts with the Sony card, but I have not experienced that at all! In fact, I think it might even be slower...) Maybe I should use one of my SanDisk Extreme cards. Worth a shot, right?

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Hmmmm...think I'll try a different sd card too

• Like Like x 1
  12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Let us know what you find!

I am swampped with work right now, so I am not sure when I will really be able to test, but I will find a way! ;)

13. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I have had this same thing happen to my A6000 a handful of times. And each time was under different circumstances. It hasn't happened in a long while, so I'm not worried about it.