a6000 - Does better sensor = better lens performance?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WestOkid, Nov 3, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    I am suffering from a severe case of GAS and seriously considering jumping on the $100 off a6000 deal.

I realize the a6000 is a better camera than my NEX 5T with viewfinder, so I don't want the stat comparison. I am curious about some nuances I have been wondering about. The main one is will my lens collection be rejuvenated by the a6000?
    In theory, a better sensor should yield better lens performance. You can see this bear out in DXO tests and a number of other sites. While this may show up in laboratory tests, I'm curious to know if this improvement shows up in pictures. Did anyone who made the upgrade from NEX to A6000 notice the improvement?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Not sure what the thought on this is today but there used to be talk that the higher MP count inside of the same APS sized sensor would result in older lenses being "Out resolved" but this is actually a matter of perception and is only really visible to the Pixel peeper, like myself.
    For example a 10mp 100% crop with lower resolution and harder edges may give impression of being "sharper" than 16mp 100% crop of the same image with the older lens, but in reality the 16mp contains more information of the subject. That being said normally in a 4x6 print its not that noticeable. in a 11x17 print however the lower resolution becomes very apparent in the form of "Jaggies". Then there is the whole anti-aliasing issue that affects perceived IQ. As well as "Crop Factor" a 10mp full frame sensor will yield a "sharper" image than a 10mp aps sensor, because the image of the older lens is not cropped and "enlarged" as it is on the APS sized sensor.
    For example if you put a JCpPenny 50mm lens on a 24mp full frame DSLR you might get a pretty decent image, put that same lens on a 24mp 4/3rds sensor and you'll be putting that lens on ebay in a heartbeat.
    Best thing that can be done is simply compare the same lens on both cameras.

Try this: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

in the comparometer, both the NEX5-T and the a6000 are using the same oss 50mm f1.8 lens. The difference in image quality is striking! ( at 100%) yet if you print your photos to 4x6 only, it may not be noticeable at all. Even printed to 8.5 x11 there may not be a noticeable difference. However If you print poster size high resolution, you will notice.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    The SEL24 and SEL50 both require a firmware update, which I assume (but don't know) is for the on sensor PDAF of the A6000 resulting in upgraded AF-C.

The AF-C is my #1 need, so when I heard about the A6000, and at such reasonable prices, I decided it wasn't worth waiting. I snapped one up.
  4. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    My SEL-50F18 works just fine, there is no way im screwing around with its firmware.;)
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    It will work with or without the firmware update, but you wont get pdaf support (unless this is a fresh sel50 1.8 and maybe already has the newer firmware). Two ways you can check, go into your menu and look for "version" ( don't know where in a6000, but towards then end on nex) it will tell you the cameras firmware version and the lens firmware version. Also you could look for "phase detection AF area" in the menu (near the top on nex, not sure with a6000) If you select this and go back to viewfinder mode you should see all the pdaf auto focus points appear. I have updated the firmware on my nex6 a couple of times and it was pretty painless and once I think for a lens. If your on windows you should fine and dandy, though I have heard that on mac it can be a pain.