a6000 Distance Scale

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WestOkid, Dec 1, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I may be losing it, but I just noticed my a6000 has an on-screen distance scale when manual focusing. My 5T is in the shop, so I can't verify this as a new feature. I just can't believe I would have missed it. I used to hate shooting in the dark with e-mount lenses because I had no easy way to focus for hyper-focal distance or infinity. I used to carry a flash light to help. This new feature has a 1 foot to infinity scale that pops up in the VF. So was this feature in older e-mounts and I just didn't engage it or is this new?

• Like Like x 2
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    This is great news as I always wanted this on my nex-6.

3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Yep... you're loosing it. .. jk :p seriusly though how are you enabling that?

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Really? First time to here that...... I have to google it to find more information on how it works...
    Regards
    Alex

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    This feature was mentioned in here when it first came out. I also really enjoyed gaining it after coming from the nex5. I don't think it does it with all lenses though, only the newer ones (so not the 18-55 for example).

6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Sorry, I can't believe it isn't brought up more. This really makes e-mounts less of a pain for landscape shooters.

BTW - I just tested it on my SEL50, and it works. The SEL50 is pretty old, so I don't think it's only newer lenses. Maybe it's just the 1855 that has an issue.

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'll have a play. I'm sure it only does it on some of my lenses. Great feature as you say!

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    cool.. Can you guys start reporting then which lenses work and which not? How it looks on the screen?

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Perhaps it only works for prime (fixed FL) lenses and not zooms???

10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'm thinking this. Gonna test now...

• Like Like x 1
  11. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well I just tried all my lenses and they ALL work! :)
    Maybe I tested the older ones before I did the PDAF lens firmware update and that also enables focus distance feedback?
    Here's what it looks like (with MF Assist as well in full MF mode)...
    d2d2938010448a291832a8b0d379c1cd.

• Like Like x 6
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice!!! Another plus for the A6000 :)

13. thebigz

thebigz TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 10, 2014
    It works with all 3 of my e mount lenses on my a6000

SELP1650
    SELP18200
    SEL18200

All lenses have been upgraded to work with a6000 fast AF

14. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Wow, that is very cool. Does it work with Sigma primes?

15. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    yes - just tested with the 19mm

16. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Well...that certainly is a useful feature that I wish I had on the NEX-6!

17. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    thanks that's the info i needed, i was overlooking that feature LOL

18. hobbyist

hobbyist New to TalkEmount

Sep 4, 2014
    The reason I don't find it anymore useful than a distance scale is magnification alone gives me the best indicator of focus. Yes it sounds nice. Like hey all those Leica manual cameras going on about their DOF and I had a Canon with none of that. Between peaking and magnification it's all u need. However, the one issue all of these have and speaking for myself obviously is I don't experience that "snap into focus" description which manual lenses and rangefinder combinations are said to have. According to what I've read only RF's screens act like a magnet so to speak. When focus is achieved voila - a blind man could see it. I don't have that experience with the a7 and 35 2.8 Z. Autofocus? They're great. But the idea that an MF lens like the new Loxia 50 could give me that leaves me scratching my head. Is it just empty promises from sales teams and paid for "experts", or will it give the experience which die hard MF photographers rave about? My experience using it it doesn't give the quality of AF even with the addition of peaking and magnifcation. It's not like oh I'm 46" away so I'll just rotate the focus ring to that approximate distance and read the distance in the VF. Magnification already does that. It's more like going 90 mph in a hot rod. I don't need the speedometer to tell me I better slow down or get a ticket. It's too bad the industry has gone almost exclusively online. No more going to stores to try out a lens. Not where I am anyway. But use it and enjoy it if u like. It can't hurt.

19. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Try peaking in the dark. That was my initial point. There are times you cannot see the subject during landscape shooting. Having no way to find infinity or hyperfocal distance can be a pain. I used to carry a flashlight to compensate for e-mount. Whereas my manual lenses with distance scales where set it and forget it. This also helps when prefocusing, anyone that has fumbled with the endless spinning of e-mount focus rings can appreciate this. Now if your kind of shooting finds no use for this, great, but it is useful and quite different than peaking. Not better, different.

• Like Like x 1
  20. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    it is very useful for hyperfocal shooting and even more important when you want to shoot fast and you do not have time to review... A dof calculator and the point of focus is the way to go

• Like Like x 1