1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A6000 center button MF/AF

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Erik5275, May 19, 2014.

1. Erik5275

Erik5275 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    I noticed today that the center button that is used to select focus point in AF, has the exact same function in MF. I would have expected it to do something useful in MF, like focus magnification. That would save one of the custom buttons for something else.

Is this really how it is supposed to work? Did it work like this in previous NEX cameras as well?

2. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Yeah, I believe it's programmed by default, to center AF quick access. It can be changed but I believe it's a global change for all PASM settings. Perhaps you could experiment with the Memory Recall (MR) setting to see if a change made there and use that for M.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have c1 as MF/AF switch and c2 as MF magnification. As you say, it would have been nice to set the centre button to something else in MF mode. I do use the function quite a bit in AF though, I usually have it on Wide/Continuous AF, so the center spot option with press and hold of the centre button is handy if its not focussing on what I want for 1 shot.

4. Erik5275

Mar 15, 2014
    I have C1 set as AF/MF and C2 set to Eye-AF. Focus magnification is currently set to the down button. The custom button functionality is not saved in the MR banks.

I would like to add another quick access feature to a button, but I have run out of buttons to use... I like this camera, but I don't like all the time spent in the menus for simple things.

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Haha - compared to my Nex-5 its AMAZING! I hardly ever go in the menu! I use Fn a lot, have you set that up? It makes it almost as good as a dedicated button for the medium use functions you can't fit into custom buttons.

6. Erik5275

Mar 15, 2014
    Yes I have, but neither eye-af nor display brightness can be accessed through the function menu. I had a Nikon D7000 before, and that had an actual button for nearly everything. Didn't even have to go to the menu to format my cards. I guess it depends on what you're used to, right ;)

Some of the things I go to the menu for:
    Display brightness for sunny weather
    Formatting memory cards
    Turn off automatic EVF switching when using a rain cover (or it will switch back and forth as it likes to)
    Turning setting effect on and off for use with flash

My quick menu is already full with things I use more often. I guess something like the Fuji X-T1 would be closer to the Nikon in terms of buttons and switches, but the Sony has good video, and the 16-70 Zeiss. And the Fuji won't fit in my jacket pocket either.

The A6000 is a really neat camera, and I like the RAW files coming out if it :)

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The EVF switching annoys me. There is a recent thread on it on here I commented on about it.

Display brightness yes, but generally a one time thing for an hour or two before going back in/outside so no biggy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Not sure if this is helpful, but on my NEX-6 I re-purposed the AEL button for toggling between AF/MF

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You can do that on the A6000 too, but I find AEL toggle useful too :(
    It would really help of the MR included custom button maps.

10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Oh, it doesn't? That is a bummer indeed.

11. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Nope! It's the kind of feature they could add and no one would complain as well, as if you didn't want it you could just use the same map in each of the 3 MR banks.

12. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
  13. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Done!