1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 bokeh setting

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mr203, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Guys,
    New to a6000. Can someone help me and tell which settings I have to choose to create bokeh? Do I have to select potrait ? Scene? Or any other menu settings?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Portrait is a good start. But if you're interested in getting your subject in sharp focus and your background all creamy, your best bet is to get comfortable with the way distance affects aperture, and vice versa. Opening up your lens (lower aperture numbers) will help to isolate your subject.

3. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    I have Sony zeiss 55 1.8

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well then, you've got a bokeh monster! If you shoot in (A) aperture priority, and keep sufficient distance between your subject and background, and open the lens to f/1.8, you should get some very pleasing results.

5. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    If you shoot close to wide open at f/1.8, accurate focus become extremely critical. You'll need to decide the exact spot to focus on then make sure you nail it, whether it's by auto- or manual focus. (E.g., for a portrait you might need to choose between the right & left eye.)

When I'm wide open and have a moving target I'll usually spot focus. For a still subject I find it's more accurate to manually focus. I have the best results with the magnifying focus aid. Others prefer focus peaking, but I find it too inconsident.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some good advice.

Here is an interesting video about the subject of bokeh

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you

8. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy and have fun experimenting.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Put your camera in A-mode (aperture priority mode) and choose a low f-number, eg f/1.8. The lower the f-number you choose, the more blurred your background will become. Experiment with different f-numbers.

Also, the closer you get to the subject, the more blurred the background will become. And the more distance there is between your subject and the background objects, the more blurred the background will become. Experiment, experiment, experiment!

11. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you . Perfect