1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A6000 Body for $399

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Biro, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2012
    With Sony's A6500 and 6300 now the flagships of the E-mount line, the A6000 is being discounted just about every where in the U.S., at least around the holidays. The body-only kit is going for $399, the body with 16-50mm kit lens for $549 and the kit with body, 16-50mm and 55-210mm for $699. I know the body with 16-50 has been cheaper but I'm not sure I've seen the body-only this low.

The A6000 is still a pretty impressive camera on its own, employing on-chip phase-detection autofocus and being able to track subjects pretty well. It seems to lack only a touchscreen and makes do with a lower-resolution viewfinder when compared with its higher-priced brethren.

I must say, I'm tempted to pick up a body-only and add a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 prime. If it works out, maybe add the Sigma 19mm and leave it at that. I don't really need it - I have lots of other cameras. But I think it might be a lot of fun.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this camera these days?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    They are far from the flagships of E-mount. but the a6000 is a bargain camera.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm pretty sure he meant of the apsc e-mount lineup :) 

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    A6000 has been selling at that price for a while since I was looking as a back up camera, but usually the price goes up and down with the seasons. Sony puts the new versions with higher prices so it creates different price levels for each of their camera lines. A6000 is not that far from the newer apsc cameras as you said. Here is dxo comparisons:
    Sony A6500 sensor review | DxOMark
    Sony A6300 vs Sony A6000 | DxOMark

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biro

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, my bad. I meant APS-C, rangefinder-style E-mount cameras. :dash2:

6. Biro

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks for this. I think I'm going to pick up an A6000. Should I bother with the kit 16-50 or just go with the Sigma 30? I'm not asking about zooms vs. primes but more about how good or bad the 16-50 is.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    It is your choice. 16-50mm is decent, but I didn't like the e-zoom. 30mm is good, but I used 35mm 1.8 OSS due to stabilization/faster aperture. Sigma now has faster 30mm 1.4 FE lens also. Here is photozone reviews:
    Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict
    Sigma AF 30mm f/2.8 EX DN (Sony E mount) - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict

You can get a used a6000+16-55 for $450 also:
    Used Sony Bodies - Allen's Camera & Video | Shop Used

• Like Like x 2
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Being a a6000 shooter and having both of those lenses....
    Go for the body only for the heavy discount. And pick up the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 Art. The Sigma is smaller and faster than the kit zoom. Excellent sharpness and color, and distortion. At 45mm FOV, it's a pretty good walk-around one-lens setup.
    It's also been reduced to $169 new, and probably found even cheaper now. You give up OSS, but I haven't noticed that being an issue with my shooting interests.
    The next lens would be a toss up between the Sony SEL5018 or Sigma 19mm f/2.8, IMHO.
    Don't forget, you can pick up the kit zooms (16-50 or 18-55) used too, heavily discounted at times.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The 16-50 kit is ok when used toward the middle of its focal length, preferably stopped down a bit, and good light helps of course. Within its limitations it can take decent shots. If you shoot RAWs you want to make sure the editor you use in post can do the software corrections the camera does in JPEG.

That said, I'd go with the Sigma 30 over the kit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I bought the A6000 deal........ glad I did.

11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Over here in €pe you can get any of those lenses (19 & 30mm Sigma, Sony 1855 & 1650) slightly used for less than 100€ and sell them for pretty much the same price later on, just in case. I'd just get what I need, and shoot the living cr@p out of it in different situations, much better than getting lost in reviews and test figures. I really like my three Sigmas on the NEX but I'm not a huge fan of the 1650. I have however kept my 7th copy of the 1855 for casual shots and special purposes; stopped down somewhat it can give you pretty decent results but it all depends as usual.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gary Alan Box

Gary Alan Box TalkEmount Regular

Oct 3, 2015
    Northampton
    Gary Alan Box
    I bought my first a6000 the month it was released. I bought a 2nd used in like new condition last year for £300.00 from a camera shop with a 6 month warranty. Whilst I like some of the features on the a6300 and especially the a6500 the price difference is something I cannot justify. As for lenses if you are the sort of person who is used to using primes as your main lens then the Sigma lenses are good. I owned the 19mm and the 30mm but sold them both as I prefer the 16-70 f4 zoom to cover this range. I do have a couple of primes like the 12mm f2 Samyang and the 50mm f1.8 OSS which are great lenses but I would say I use zooms for more than 85% of all my images.

One day I might upgrade to a newer APS-C model or even a full frame but I think in a decade or two I will look back at the a6000 as groundbreaking and ahead of its time. At current prices I don't think anything can compare in terms of price to performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Friends and clients comment when I shoot with my Sonys because I've been so Nikon for so long. I often get asked what to buy and I've said A6000 for a couple of years now. Best bang for the buck in a long time. Heck, even some point and shoots cost more now. I know the RX100 is a different beast, but an A6000 w/16-50 is awfully attractive in comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The a6000 is still a formidable camera in a versatile form factor. It was wise of Sony to keep it as part of an a6xxx line up. Not everyone is interested in 5-axis IS, or 4K or magnesium bodies. Those who want more than what a smartphone can provide, an a6000 is a lot of bang for the buck. Sony probably can sell 5 a6000's for every 2 a6300's or 1 a6500.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gary Alan Box

Gary Alan Box TalkEmount Regular

Oct 3, 2015
    Northampton
    Gary Alan Box
    Yes it was still showing at the top of the Amazon sales list last time I looked despite the upgrades which must say something about how relevant it still is.

16. redfrobro

redfrobro New to TalkEmount

Sep 24, 2013
    Lawrence KS
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.