1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 Announced: Replaces NEX-6, mixes in a bit of NEX-7 and A7

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by napilopez, Feb 12, 2014.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Dec 14, 2013
    Sony A6000 Announced

Sony has officially announced the successor to its well received NEX-6 model, the new A6000, which is still E-mount, but drops the NEX name.

Some notable changes from its predecessor:

• New 24.3 MP sensor
    • Bionz X image processor (same as A7/A7R)
    • Faster hybrid AF system with 179 AF points covering 92% of the sensor (vs. 99 points covering 50% on the NEX-6)
    • 11fps continuous shooting with tracking between shots
    • 1.44M dot viewfinder (lower than the NEX-6, although potentially with better color rendering and lower lag time)

Pre-order links (via B&H):

Sony A6000 (Body Only) - $648: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...html/BI/1848/KBID/2491/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x508420

Sony A6000 + 16-50mm lens - $798: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...html/BI/1848/KBID/2491/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x508419

It will come in silver as well, but at the moment only black is available.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, Sony has announced the new A6000, which, as most recent rumors have suggested, does indeed look more like a new version of the NEX-6 than NEX-7. But in terms of appearance, and a few features, it does show some lineage from the NEX-7 and A7 as well.

Sonyalpharumors, as always, has good coverage with links to a boatload of first looks: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/live-coverage-sony-a6000-officially-announced/

Key specs include a 24.3 megapixel APS-C sensor, hybrid autofocus with 179 phase-detect points covering 92% of the image area, as well as the usual 25 contrast-detect points. Sony claims this results in the "world's fastest autofocus", claiming 0.06 seconds to focus, supposedly beating the recent Fujifilm X-T1's claim of 0.08. And while the EVF is an apparent downgrade to 1.44M dots, Imaging Resource notes that versus the NEX-6: “However, comparing the two side-by-side, the A6000′s EVF is the clear winner as it produces much more accurate colors and easy to discern details.” http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a6000/sony-a6000A.HTM

At US$650 for body only, and US$799 with SEL1650 kit lens, it is certainly a very price-competitive offering.

(Side note: For me personally, it could make a perfect eventual upgrade from a lower end model, like my A3000... once cash or some gift-giving event comes along.)

• Like Like x 5
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm surprised with the initial price - is very cheap!!! $650 at Sony store, while the 6 was $1000 when it came out and the 7 about $1200.

"The major letdown: EVF is smaller and of lower resolution compared to the NEX-6" but shoots at 11 fps....

• Like Like x 1
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. I think that price is really low. Pentax K-3 is locally 1150 Euro and has about similar sensor and I hope there isn't anything vital missing from A6000. I think that I will get one.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Looks like a winner. The rumor was that it was supposed to be 650 euro which would have been expensive. But $650 is another matter. I think this is the camera I've been waiting for. I need the 24MP of the NEX 7 but this is cheaper and the new Bionz with the adaptive NR is a major bonus. I couldn't care less about the EVF, I probably wouldn't use it.

Now I wonder what the A7000 will bring. I should be a leg up from the A6000. I don't think adding back in tri-nav and a higher res EVF would cut it. Maybe a 36MP sensor?

6. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    If Sony were keeping things simple, they could just take this A6000's "fastest ever AF" 24MP APS-C sensor and plop it into an A7 body, with A7 EVF, controls, and ports, call it an A7000, and ship it. But then, Sony doesn't always do things the simple way, do they.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    We have over 20% VAT here in Europe and competition is much less. So in many cases 1 USD=1 EUR or so.

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I am disappointed at only two dials, but the price-to-feature ratio is otherwise amazing! This would be (for me) a perfect second body to complement my A7. I just hope Sony will now put some decent tele lenses out that take advantage of the APS-C crop while keeping size down (by not being designed for FF).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  12. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    • Like Like x 1
  13. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    They're making such a big thing out of this AF speed, it had better be bloody good!
    http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6000-body-kit

They give the following caveat;
    Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras equipped with an APS-C image sensor as of 12 February 2014. Measured using CIPA internal measurement method with E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens mounted, Pre-AF off and viewfinder in use.

14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Maybe the Sony UK site has an error, but the battery life claims don't fit those in the reviews of 460...
    Approx. 310 shots (Viewfinder) / Approx. 360 shots (LCD monitor)

Also - I would have expected Viewfinder to substantially increase battery life? Any ideas?

15. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Sony's sites are notorious for being... well, a mess. I'd wouldn't trust them on details for a week or so. When the A3000 first came out Sony's US site actually listed HDMI, NFC, and WiFi as included.

16. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'm presuming someone copy/pasted the Nex6 stats. Still want to know why the battery would last longer on LCD though!

They've also put it in the 'Casual Shooter' category (with the A3000/5000 and Nex3/5), while the Nex6/7 are in the 'Amateur Advanced'. I presume this is also a mistake.

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A lot will depend on the lens attached.

I am assuming they tested it with the 16-50mm which has become the kit lens.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Reading the links something not mentioned yet is the choice to go with the A7 menu versus the traditional NEX menu.

19. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I read in one of the reviews that was possible - but no details of how...

Found it - it was the one Nick posted earlier, it was a hands-on review so I presume they ACTUALLY found it was possible!?
    Here is another review that mentions it - cool vid too (although it says N-E-X, who does that!?)
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/11/sony-a6000-hands-on/?ncid=rss_truncated

• Like Like x 1