A6000 and YN560IV remote triggering issues

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by soopadoopa, Jun 10, 2015.

1. soopadoopa

soopadoopa TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    greetings, noob here. i'm having trouble triggering the YN560IV with my RF603II (canon model) on my A6000. i've read thru several threads here and on dpreview so here's what i can tell you about my issue and hopefully someone can point out my error.

the 603 is paired with the 560 and will fire a test flash via the top button while mounted on camera (rf603 mode, ch1 for both, blue light winks, etc). the 560 will fire when mounted on camera. i've scraped the underside of the hotshoe rails enough to see plenty of bare metal.

camera is currently set to fill flash and 560 is set to M , tho i don't know if this matters. i'm assuming that what's supposed to happen is that i push the 'take picture' button on the camera and the flash is supposed to fire according to whatever settings i've entered via it's onboard controls. that's what happens when the 560 is on camera.

i've also tried both 603s (shipped as a pair) with the same results. i'm currently sliding my trigger in and out of my shoe like a technopervert but so far no joy.

so, if anyone has any insight, that'd be spectacular. thanks.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    RF 603 isn't compatible with Sony cameras. RF 603 II is. The previous can be modified to be usable.

3. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    thanks. it is the II; i just used the numeral 2 - formatting mistake. apologies...

4. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I am not sure if set to fill flash will work. Besides that, you need to check your hot shoe. Grind the red portion with a metal object. I just used a Swiss Army knife for a few seconds and mission accomplished. Picture is from a dpreview thread.

xq0ldd0.

5. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    gah! it's so frustrating that people seem to be able to fix this with ease. i've sanded everything i'm supposed to sand. i've put the thing on and off 100s of times. i've adjusted the hotshoe spring tension. i've tried 2 different triggers. and nothing!

i'm really hoping that i'm just doing something dumb like with a simple camera setting. i literally know zero about this stuff, tho i've read a bunch on strobist etc. i just have the camera on fill since that seems to be the default. is there anything specific i should have my camera set to to make this combo work?

6. Badboy

Badboy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 24, 2014
    Just get a tx560, never had any any issues with my a6000 and full manual control of the yn560iv

7. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I will check my A6000 setting when I get home and tell you.

8. Badboy

Badboy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 24, 2014
    Have you tried not fully engaging the trigger? This is how I have got my basic triggers to work. I have not modified my hot shoe.

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are several different remote shutter connectors for Canon there. There is RF-603 C1 & C3 but I think that there is no C2.

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Maybe the rf-603 won't seat completely. Easy way to check this is to use permanent felt tip pen and blacken the central connector pin. Insert the RF-603 several times and see if there is scratch in the central pin.

11. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    double checking, my trigger is labelled RF-603CII.

i'll scrounge up a sharpie in the morning. my local camera shop tells me phottix atlas triggers will do the job for sure. any experiences with these?

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Sorry no, RF 603 II, RF 605 and YN 560-TX work fine in my Nex 7 with adapter.

13. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    which adapter are you using? thanks.

14. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    No adapter needed for A6000. RF 603II works great on my A6000.

15. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    i think i may hate you just a bit ;)

i've tried everything i can find on the internet and that my LCS has as far as advice with zero success. next up - the hammer...

16. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Hold on....I just checked my A6000, it is in Fill Flash mode. So as the last resort, did you check your RF603II to make sure the one mounted is in transmitter mode while the other is in receiver mode? And camera has to be in M mode.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  17. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1434169602.056161.

I use this with my 605 and the yn iii and yn IV and work flawless it have no paint on the contacts and I don't need to scratch the paint of my hotshot on my camera

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

18. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    the 603 and the 560IV are paired - they'll test fire just fine. it's just that nothing comes from the camera. i mostly shoot aperture but i'll try manual again.

19. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    thanks, yadex. i'll give that a go if this next set of triggers is a bust.

20. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Only Manual works I am afraid. Aperture won't do.