1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a6000 and 10 degree temperature – okay?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pworden, Jan 13, 2015.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Looks like a clear night tonight, but the temperature will be in the teens. I'm learning astrophotography, just in my back yard at this point. Any worries using my camera at this temperature? How long is okay? I think 15-20 minutes will be all I can take :) I know to put it in a bag and a cool room after, but thought it good to ask, how cold is too cold?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I used mine in 20 degrees Fahrenheit with no problems, the manual says minimum 32. I was doing astro/time-lapse so the sensor was constantly working and so keeping the camera warm to some degree. I was out for 5 hours.

If you let the camera warm up in a bag to avoid condensation I don't think you will have any issues. I suspect the only reason they don't recommend use below freezing is in case people have not taken precautions, condensation builds up inside, freezes, expands, causes damage etc...

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Another problem is battery performance in low temperature environment. I think most lithium batteries are fine to something like -20 C.

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Oh yes, forgot to mention, the depleted battery from that night magically got back to 22% once warmed up - so if you plan to do more than an hour you will need multiple batteries!

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, and keep those spares on your person as close to your body heat as possible, not in your camera bag.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks! I always put the camera in a big gallon freezer bag and towel in a cool room for an hour or so after I've had it out in the winter. The temps have been so low though that I had to be sure it was safe.. So far I've had best results with the 24 1.8 zeiss wide open at 100 ISO for 15-30 sec depending on moon. I've read f4 higher ISO is better but haven't had good results with that so far. Another chance tonight.

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I always go max aperture, and then as low ISO as possible and as low exposure time as possible. At the end of the day you want as much clean light as you can get before the stars become streaks. I almost exclusively use my SEL16F28 for astro.

8. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    I was out for a while with the kids in the snow earlier this month, and my A6000 had a database error while I was shooting some shots in low continuous mode. It had to recreate the photo database on the card so all my shots for the day were lost. Video was not affected. Probably could have recovered the photos with some recovery software, but it wasn't a huge deal, it was just a morning out with the kids. But lesson learned.

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    That's odd I've recovered the database on my cards quite a few times and I don't think I've ever lost a photo.

As for letting the camera warm up in a bag after being cold... Hadn't ever heard of that but it makes sense. Anyone else using a similar procedure? I'd like to know more to ensure I'm keeping my camera In the best possible shape.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

10. Jman13

Jman13 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2014
    I've used the a6000 at 10F, and my Fuji X-E2 at -10F. These cameras are fine. Battery life suffers, but otherwise it's no big deal.

11. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks. Good to hear your method matches my best results so far. I've referred to thelonelyspeck.com and found my best options are my 8 fisheye and the 24. Someday I'll get a 12 Rokinon and would try a 16 if I had one. I did get shots of the comet and it's green. Will try again to get more stars in the shot. Highest ISO I used was 500 so definitely have to push that more to get what I'm after on a night without much moon. But this is more for a post about astro at this point :) I've been religious about putting my camera in a big plastic bag and cool room for awhile afterward.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scott0487

scott0487 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2015
    I only recently purchased the a6000, but I live in the mountains in Colorado and have taken it out in zero degree (F) weather without any issues. As others have said battery life suffers in cold weather but the camera has had no issues.

Scott

13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    What kind of bag? Like a big plastic Zip lock? Or your camera bag? What are you using?

14. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    unlo, you can use a standard gallon ziploc freezer bag. The benefit is the condensation forms on the plastic bag instead of on your camera.

15. scott0487

scott0487 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2015
    I also used to use a gallon ziploc freezer bag but more recently just use my camera bag, which seems to work as well.

Scott

16. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The battery will show rapid discharge but will actually work. I have just used it yesterday in about -1F /-19C for an hour, after only 20min the orange empty battery icon came up but the camera continued to operate. I pulled the battery out and warmed it up in my hands for about 5 min, after re-inserting it the camera briefly flashed 74% before going back to orange icon. Did not cause any other issues. I had changed lenses and shot without any problems. I do not use the ziplock bags either just put the camera in my messenger bag and the short drive home warms it up just enough to avoid visible condensation.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1