1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 Amazing Low Light Ability

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Pitter, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

I continue to play around my new a6000 / 1.8 24mm combo and am more and more impressed with it's abilities every day. This photo was taken without flash in a room with extremely low light (I wouldn't have been able to read my watch) yet it looks like it was taken in a room that was reasonably well lit. I used the "intelligent +" setting and the camera shot at 1/4 shutter speed, 2.0 aperture at 3200 ISO. Image is cropped slightly and reduced but no lighting or focus post processing. It is very soft of course at that really slow speed but who'd a thunk I'd have any image at all! Wonderful camera...loving it.

qna255.

• Like Like x 2
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 14, 2014
    Nice colors. Not trying to be rude, but your photo is quite blurry?

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    OP said 1/4 shutter speed. If it was also hand held, that would explain the "blurry"....

5. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Yes I was just curious to see what the camera would do. I didn't expect a good portrait from the experiment. I tripod might have produced an acceptable result.

6. terravue

terravue TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    [emoji684]

7. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    to be honest I have not found anywhere on the web that a6000 has a lot to offer in terms of high iso sensitivity (there are improvements but for me these look marginal), compared to previous generations.
    Pretty much sony offers wit a6000 the fast autofocus and of course the better designed body.

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Really? That's a bummer, I was thinking it would be quite the upgrade from my 5r as far as low light performance is concerned

9. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Is not but it does have the other enhancements mentioned though.
    For my NEX-6 the way I have been able to "improves" its low light is by using 3 things mainly:

#1 Exposing to the Right when possible.
    #2 Lens Turbo 2 to gain me an extra stop of light
    #3 Faster manual lenses
    #4 Better post processing like DXO Prime (not always perfect but usually the best for noise reduction) and other techniques.

So overall, I tried to become a better photographer and better at PP to maximize what my camera offers. :)
    And keeping an eye for the next gen of APS-C sensors of course!

• Like Like x 1
  10. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    I tested an A6000 against my 5R, the A6000 was a stop better, impressive.

Sent from my iPad using TalkNEX mobile app

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Is that raw or JPEG?

12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Really a stop better? I am sorry but if I am not mistaken the 5R will be just like the NEX-6 and when tested vs the A6000 it is not even close to a stop better. That is the kind of different you will see from the A6000 to the A7 for example. If it was a Stop better I would have jumped on it right away! Imagine with a stop better plus the Lens Turbo 2 I would be beating the A7 in that regard!

13. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    The grain on the A6000 is much finer. Yes, ISO6400 as good as ISO3200 on the 5R.
    Microlenses on the A6000 probably account from the difference.

14. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    In RAW, I don't think my 5R has ever taken a jpg image.

15. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Maybe the 5R is different than the 5T and 6 after all. Not so sure now but if it looks like the 5T which to me looks pretty rough there then yeah there is a difference.
    152ccyh.

Attached Files:

16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Where is this from Shaolin? Something is off with the setup of these cameras. Every knows the 5t and the 6 use the same sensor. When you factor in the 5t is newer than the 6 it doesn't make sense it would have such bad results. You can also see dxo more scientific tests also go against these photos.

BTW if its from DPR, they have been known to mix up the pointers for these test shots.

Attached Files:

17. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    This seems strange looks like the nex-6 is beating the others

18. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    these are also so marginals that one can not make any serious claim about improvements. I do not see the reason for that pixel analysis at so high iso. A6000 has increased slightly the noise performance just to the point that the larger megapixel sensor would not turn to be worse than the nex 6.
    Anyway I do not need any high iso. I have to learn to make light when I do not have it and that is another story

19. photoluminaire

Oct 7, 2013
    Download the RAW files and compare at equal detail levels at the same size.
    The nex6 image is significantly less sharpened and when the detail levels are matched ISO6400 on the A6000 compares well to ISO3200 on the NEX6. The default camera raw settings of 1pixel radius sharpening does not suit the A6000.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Sorry man but I am not buying. The sensors were tested and the difference is not remotely a full stop no matter how you look at it, what was tested was so close that it makes no difference in real life. Still, that does not take anything away from the A6000. The fact they were able to move to 24MP AND not lose any ISO performance at the same time is and impressive accomplishment on its own but let's not get carried away now, its still not an A7 or similar in high ISO performance ;)

Yep it is from DPR.

• Like Like x 1