1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a6000/a6300 L-bracket

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by slothead, Mar 28, 2016.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Has anyone had any experience with an a6000 or a6300 L-bracket? I would have assumed that the a6000 and the a6300 brackets were identical but Really Right Stuff has separate model numbers for them. I can't see the RRS design, and I don't like the price (a6300 is $175 and the a6000 is $120 - why so much and why the difference???).

I am hoping that there is another party that offers as good a bracket for less money, and I recall really liking the A7 brackets from a foreign source (don't remember whose now).

2. Reciprocity Failure

Reciprocity Failure TalkEmount Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Bryan
    Kirk has one listed on their website as "Coming Soon". I hope its sooner rather than later.

I got a real runaround ordering from RSS a couple years ago and that has made me a big fan of Kirk.

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    So Bryan, Do you get the impression that the Kirk product will fit both the 6300 AND the 6000?

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't have either camera, but from what I've seen in the videos the bottom plate on the new a6300 is thicker than that of the a6000 so I would imagine the L-plate would be different...

Speaking of L-brackets, I only recently bought a Neewer one for my A7 after not being able to justify the (way) extra cost for an RRS and couldn't be happier with my decision! I cant see where its better/different from the Neewer (or even maybe the chinese made ones on ebay)...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nick is correct. The a6300 seems to be slightly more plump than its older brother. :)

a6300 Dimensions 120 x 67 x 49 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 1.93″)
    a6000 Dimensions 120 x 67 x 45 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 1.77″)

• Like Like x 1
  6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Oh wow, thanks guys. I'm sure you saved me at least some time if not numerous bucks!

7. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Hi Tom,

For some reason I didn't see this post until now when I went searching for an L-Bracket for the a6300, and found your post elsewhere (replied there too, but I will replicate for members here):

I had an a6000 with a cheap eBay L-plate with the only markings being "LB-A6000". It was perfect for my a6000, excellent build quality and fit/worked well. While it does mount on my a6300, as noted previously the side door becomes impossible to access while the plate is mounted. The bottom battery/memory door is a very close tolerance but I can open it fully. BUT, the big problem is that because the grip end of the camera does not fit perfectly in the recess of the plate, there is a slight gap under the LCD area of the camera where it is not touching the plate (this is so slight I did not notice it immediately). The result is that as it is snugged up, the plate tilts with contact points at the each end, but not perfectly square against the camera base and now a ever so slightly triangular shaped gap. While very slight, it is noticeable and your camera level and tripod level will not agree. Also, because of the gap, I would be reluctant to tighten the plate too snug for fear of putting undue stress on the camera body. I'm waiting for a cheap plate tailored to the a6300.

8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Rick. I have an a6000 L-bracket on order from China (takes forever - I'll bet it is identical to yours). I'll pay close attention to it and will likely wait around as you are for the best a6300 version - I doubt it will be that long.

9. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
  10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I checked it out. I'm curious why so many other Sony L-brackets envelope the battery door and this one does not. It looks a little lopsided, but is probably very practical. I am also going to wait for other offerings. Thanks Rick for posting this.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    When I was looking for an L-bracket for the A7, companies were offering two designs basically: one that extends right to the battery door and one that stops at the battery door. The company mentioned above, Sunwayfoto, only offered the 2nd design so I'm guessing its what they offer in general.
    Personally I find that design weird to the eyes and imagine to the handling also (but I haven't tried it) cause you'd lose the other function of the L-bracket which is to slightly extend the grip of the camera.

12. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    There is now another a6300 L-Bracket on eBay ... FITTEST Bracket&Camera Grip Custom For Sony A6300 RRS SUNWAYFOTO Compatible... this one is a "full width" design. Seems a little pricey considering its generic from overseas, but other than that looks nice. Any guinea pigs among us a6300 owners ? Tom ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    I have the Sunway and is very well done. I have 3 RRS brackets for other cameras and this is just as good for less than half the price.

14. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Rick, that is exactly what I wanted - I've already ordered.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Yes, this is the price range I've been waiting for. Please let us know its fit/quality when it arrives.

17. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    According to the seller, it is two weeks out, but I'll let you know when I get it.

18. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    My bracket arrived from the orient the day before yesterday (I've just been too busy to do anything but screw it on the bottom of the camera). It seems to fit great and appears that it will work well with the Arce-Swiss clamp (although I have not clamped it yet). I did notice something I did not expect: on the bottom of the battery area where the plate has a large oval-shaped section that allows the battery door to open, the plate is not the same thickness all the way around. A corner of the oval-shaped area is very thin and is apparently necessary to provide clearance for the corner of the battery door. See my edited image below. I am not too concerned about this, but I can imagine that it might be susceptible to damage in a drop (although the camera would be also - so just don't drop it).
    6300-plate.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1