1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A6000 a worthwhile upgrade for adapted lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Nov 27, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Prior to buying the NEX 6 I had the opportunity to use an a6000 for a while. I liked it but ultimately chose the NEX 6. I made that choice based on the NEX 6's higher resolution EVF, what I saw as a relatively small difference in IQ and the fact that the NEX was a lot cheaper than the a6000 at the time.

With the new price drop on the a6000 I am starting to think it might be a good time to upgrade. There a couple of small things about the a6000 that I like are the much improved UI and the fact that the fn button can be mapped to focus assist. Often it's the little things that matter.

So my question is, other than the little niceties of handling will the a6000 give me any significant improvements over the NEX 6? Keep in mind that I shoot adapted lenses almost exclusively.

2. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Never mind...found my answer. It's probably not.

I spent some time sorting through similar threads on this site and came across a post by the person I actually bought the NEX 6 from.
    Of course the a6000 is a "better" camera but I was immediately reminded why I didn't get the a6000 initially. I had spent a fair amount of time with a borrowed a6000 (a lovely silver one) putting it through its paces and it was the fact that I just didn't particularly like the feel of it that I decided to go with the "lesser" NEX 6. The a6000 is a terrific camera but much of what it does is related to it's outstanding AF speed an accuracy and these things do not matter to me as much as better images and I have yet to see any indication that the a6000 images are noticeably better.

The UI is nicer and there are some nice features that would be convenient but so far it's not seeming to be enough of an upgrade to be worth shelling out the $$ for.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Hi Kevin,
    I can not compare to the Nex 6, but I am really enjoying the A6000 and adapted lenses. Because of the A6000 I have added a few additional adapted lenses this year, and 2 e-mount MF lenses. I think you would adjust nicely.

Micheal

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I updated from a NEX-6 to a new-to-me A6000 just a few weeks ago. Still figuring some things out.

I do love the new menus and quick menu (Fn) and just overall customizability. It is very much improved from that standpoint. Many of the functional changes really apply to native AF glass though. As I recall you shoot mainly legacy glass, so that eliminates a lot of considerations. While I have some legacy glass, I have not done much shooting with it yet so maybe I will change my mind on any impact.

I did also update for 24M versus 16M, but for a specific reason. In the nicer seasons of the year, I like to try and shoot birds and other wildlife, and I end up cropping a lot. Flying birds are non-trivial to get in-camera composition right! :) I am expecting this to help. For other use cases, it is too soon to say with certainty if IQ is really much different. Sized for typical viewing on displays, I suspect it would not be all that noticeable. Time will tell, I suppose.

As far as build, the NEX-6 strikes me as a bit more svelte and comfortable to hold. The A6000 feels a bit chunkier, but not so much that I dislike it - it is just different. Ergonomics are such a personal thing, so others might feel very differently.

I do not regret updating, but I do not think it is a compelling one. Still, with the current sale price of $400 new, I would be sorely tempted if I had not already updated.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I did the same last Christmas.

The NEX-6 was doing me well, but with the incentives, and then reselling the NEX-6 I was only in another $50ish.

As mentioned the AF is a nice improvement, and it finally feels complete. The menus, the FN button and other customizable buttons are well worth it.

If I had not upgraded, I would still be enjoying my NEX-6, but not disappointed at all about my A6000.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have access to an a6000 that I can borrow. I'm going to give it another test run and see what it would be like to use it on a daily basis.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    After much thought and comparing images from the a6000 and the NEX 6 I came to the conclusion that upgrading doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment.

Since I shoot adapted lenses the faster AF is not A big attraction for me and looking at the Sony native lenses I am not seeing any lenses that I'm all that interested in getting. I like the a6000 UI and control layout a bit better that my NEX but I tend to do very little menu diving and once I got the NEX setup to my liking it's pretty straight forward. I don't find the clunkiness getting in my way as a photographer. It's one of those things that would be nice to have but not essential. What I don't get is a significant step up in image quality. From the test shots I have done with both the IQ is remarkably similar. In fact I would be hard pressed to tell them apart without looking at the EXIF data.

The $400 price us tempting but I would imagine were also looking at the replacement for the a6000 showing up in the not too distant future. Now if the a7000 (or whatever it's called) has the 5 axis IBIS then I could see an upgrade being a more interesting proposition.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    You might want to look in to the full-frame A7 series. I found the interface (EVF, control layout, menus, etc...) to be a huge improvement over my old NEX-7, even before factoring in the format (which of course also makes a monumental difference).
    Price will always be a bit of an issue, but the original A7 is getting down there. Very much worth looking in to (unless one prefers APS-C for the enhanced telephoto "reach").

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Ya, it makes less sense if adapted lenses are your primary shooting lens. The NEX-6 is still a great camera.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's what I also did, but went from a Nex-6 to an A7 :)
    Can't say that I'm not happy with my decision but there are a few things on the A7 that still bug me (wish I could afford an A7-II :( )

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That was something I was also thinking that instead of getting yet another APS-C camera pick up a nice low mileage A7 at some point. Me being an adapted lens user the A7 could work our really well and my Minolta 24/2.8 would act like a WA lens again. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1