1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000@24.3mp vs. A7ii@10mp crop mode?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Packing for vacation, and have been warned by the wife and kids not to turn it into a photo assignment by bringing all my gear. So, here's a tech question I THINK I know the answer to, but need confirmation.

Since my A7ii goes into crop mode with my A6000 lenses (yes, I know I can turn that off), I'd be better off to take the A6000 in the first place, right? OR is there something about pixel pitch or density that makes the A7ii files comparable at 10mp?

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Operative words here "...have been warned..."
    If it were me, I'd just take the RX100 and not worry about taking any 'photographs' and just be happy with some nice family snapshots. Everyone's happy then.:dance3:

3. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    True.

...maybe just the A6000 with the 16-50.

4. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Use the right lens, your A7ii can crop to 16MP in PP easily.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I like the A7 + 1650 combo for casual shots and portability. 10mp is plenty. That said, the a6000 may be the way to go because it has the built in flash. The 1 stop advantage in ISO can't overcome a flash that is often useful for indoor shots.

6. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Not a bad idea. Funny thing is, the A77ii/SAL1650F28 would also work, because it also has a built-in flash, but that's honking' huge in comparison for the same sensor size as the A6000.

7. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Assuming the equipment list in your signature is correct I would say RX100—use it as an opportunity to practice doing more with less. Or if you feel you NEED and ILC (or the better image quality) than the A6000 with the SELP1650 and SEL20 & SEL50. That kit should cover most circumstances without giving up much IQ to the other, larger combos.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    [Warned]
    LOL!
    If the RX100 covers the focal length you need and is fast enough for low light situations, take that. Otherwise I'd grab the a6000, 1650, and one faster prime for flashless shots. a6000 is a great travel body.

It's a vacation, go as light as you can, and enjoy the trip. I remember hauling a heavy backpack of Canon L glass and DSLR, speedlight and mini tripod all over Rome, and it nearly ruined the trip. It was exhausting. One day I had enough and only took my P-n-S.

9. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I'm on vacation now and I have three bodies and 4 bags and a tripod with me. Couldn't decide what to take. Out on the beach for a week. 3n, nex6 and a7ii

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Oh about 23 lenses too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    U rock

12. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    14mm, 15mm, 24-35 28mm, 35mm 35-70, 38mm,40mm, 50mm,55mm, 70-210, 85mm, 135mm 200mm

13. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Just got back from 10 days in Canada. Took the a7mk2 and 4 lenses. If I had it to do over I'd take the a6000 and all emount lenses.
    Got some great pics but got heavy fast.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    If I have a chance to go on vacation, I would take the best camera that I have to capture precious moments of time, place and especially with my family.

15. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The a6000 will definitely get better image quality out of APSC lenses than an A7 using those same lenses in crop mode.

The pixel density is higher in the image circle of the APSC lens, so the detail will be higher. The larger pixels of the A7 will be less noisy on the pixel level but the apparent noise performance won't be better on the A7 at viewing sizes.

The only reason to consider the A7 would be handling / viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    A bit out of topic but just curious...so what happens if you add a Speed Booster to the A7 in Crop mode? Will it give you another stop like it does for APS-C and close the gap in low light performance vs the A7s for example by allowing it to say in a lower iso?
    Hope that made sense. :D

17. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Probably not. Photon noise in crop mode with the SB would be roughly the same as in normal mode. That you have you have 1 1/3 stop more photon noise from crop mode (with a smaller sensor, less light can fall on it total), but then you have the addition 1 stop of light density gained. Everything sort of equals it all out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  18. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I think if you had a legacy lens, and compared it on the A7 with booster & crop sensor mode vs the A7 full frame and dumb adapter... I think the noise would be about the same. The A7 with booster could drop the ISO one stop, and get less noise per pixel but it has fewer pixels. So when you view the image (or print it) the noise would be scaled up compared to the 24mp file.

You'd never actually want to do that, because the detail will be worse.

And it's not going to give you performance like the A7s. The low megapixel count isn't the reason why the A7s has the best low light performance.

19. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I did not imply the low mega pixel on its own was the reason it had better performance, what I meant is that the difference in resolution would be close as far as detail
    I will test this when I get my A7ii on Wednesday.

20. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1