1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a5000 WB problems

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nighttrain, Apr 18, 2015.

1. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    I've been having trouble with WB on my a5000. White items in my photos often turn out blue when shooting in daylight.

Using AWB results in blue as does the Daylight setting. If I use Shade and adjust the grid away from blue and red, that seems to eliminate the blue cast. If I use Custom Setup, I get an error, but if I shoot the photo anyway, it looks pretty normal, no blue cast. Here's the error I get:
    9900K A-B: 0 G-M:G2

Can somebody explain the error message? Is there anything else I can adjust to fix this problem? Do I need to have the camera repaired?

2. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    A few more details in case anybody has advice on this. When I shoot scenes with a range of colors, indoors and out, the camera handles white pretty well on AWB. If I move in for a close up, making white the dominant color in the frame, the white subject turns blue. (I've tested this with white copy paper fanned out across a table by an open window, and with dinnerware on a white tablecloth outside.) The problem seems to be worse in afternoon light. In morning light, the camera is able to do a Custom Setup WB w/o generating an error. AWB still records white as blue on closeup. Would be great if there was some kind of master reset I could do to fix this. Thanks.

3. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Try shooting raw & jpg, look at the raw with Sony's Image Data Converter (or equivalent). See if the raw has the same blue cast as the jpg. Check all the IDC controls and see what the camera set them to. This might give you some clues as to what's going on.

4. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    A master reset is a good way to quickly determine if your problem is a setting that got inadvertently changed or a different problem IF you don't mind losing any custom settings (including network) you may have made.

"Setting Reset" is on the Setup menu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. rdfisch, I tried both options under Setting Reset but neither made a difference.
    Kirkp, when the jpeg is blue the raw image is also blue. Not sure which controls I should check in IDC?

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Can you post an example of one of these blue images here, nighttrain? That may help us help you.

7. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    You might check the white balance settings in the raw file.
    My NEX-6 has an option button under each balance setting to intentionally set a cast. Make sure the dot is in the center of the square.
    If you don't find the problem in white balance settings, master reset seems like the next step.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  8. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Here's a crop of a photo of white paper, compressed to get the file size down. bluecrop.

9. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Here's the file info for the blue image from IDC. The dot on the adjustment grid was in the center. Sometimes I can get the paper to look more normal by tilting the camera slightly. Custom Setup usually works to get the paper white, but it doesn't make sense that I have to do this in daylight. blue.

10. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    On the NEX-6, under the Setup/initialize menu you can chose "reset default" or "factory rest". The A5000 should have something similar. Try them in that order.

11. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks for the reset tip, Kirkp. The 2 options on the a5000 are Camera Settings Reset and Initialize. When I called Sony CS they had me do Initialize first. I've just reset it in the order you suggested. Seems to have done the trick! The camera occasionally still displays white as blue, but it rights itself pretty quickly.