a5000 unpopular?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by zx7dave, Jul 14, 2014.

1. zx7dave

zx7dave TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    I got a a5000 not too long ago which i like quite a bit. But I do not see hardly any posts on it here...good or bad. It is unknown? unpopular? I had a 3n, and debated over a replacement model between the RX100 and a5000. In the end I wanted the larger sensor and option to change out lenses even though it was not as pocketable. Although I usually shoot RAW, I did find the Multi-Frame NR app you can buy at Sony play memories to be worthwhile for jpeg shooting giving you at least a extra stop. I most like how small and light it is, and with the easy sync with my Android device I can take better than cell pictures and have them on Facebook in minutes while I'm out on the go.
    So just wondering where the a5000 owners are and how they like their camera....
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    I'd honestly forgotten it existed!

It's obviously not a bad camera, but I reckon it is not enjoying the same popularity as the A6000 mainly due to the Nex6/7 being so cheap and have quite a few features over the A5000 still.
    The main missing features are it suffers from no external EVF option, no external flash, no downward tilting LCD - none of which are massive issues for many shooters, but as above, given you can get a previous generation Nex with all of this, for same money and same quality photos lots are doing that.

A lot saw it as a step backwards from the Nex 5 that it seems to replace (which has all of the above features - but just 14m pixels - but pixels ain't everything!) - I have a Nex 5 as a second shooter since upgrading to the A6000 and have to say, I am part of this crowd.

For sure post some pics up - will be great to see what it can do! On the basis you bought it, I assume you are not bothered by any of the 'missing features' so just enjoy it for the great pics it can help you take and share away! :)
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I too forget about it, but it is a great option.

The classic NEX style with a hard to beat 20MP Sensor.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Actually the NEX 5 had been replaced by newer 5R, 5T. According to Sony, the a5000 replaced the 3N. I got my 5t after the a5000 was announced.

My reasons: The 5T had a faster processor, touch screen, PDAF, higher res LCD, external flash and EVF capability, and several other features that the a5000 lacked.

Bottom line is the a5000 has the same fantastic sensor as the a3000, and it has the same problems selling as the a3000.
    I believe the issue is that in order to keep prices low, they skimped in places that turn off enthusiasts. At the same time the price is still too high for average consumers.

Sorry. I should add none of this should stop you from enjoying your camera as long as it allows you to do what you need to do. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    I just looked it up and, indeed, it looks like a great camera. As WestOkid points out, you'll see this forum mostly populated by enthusiasts - hence the lack of talk about it. I had my 3N for just over a month before I "upgraded" to the 6. As I shoot more, i'll probably want to pick up an a3000 (cheap, used) for some of my longer lenses and (assuming this one follows suit as WestOKid implies) an a5000 for a smaller camera. I'm seeing that any current NEX is a great camera. It really comes down to what features are important. To me, the viewfinder was #1 on my list!

6. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I believe the a5000 is actually replacing both the 3N and 5T (in Sony's new aX000 lineup) even though the 5T is a step up from the a5000. Sony stopped manufacturing the 5T when they announced they were dropping the "NEX" name, but continues marketing their remaining inventory.

There's nothing wrong with the a5000. It's super light and probably a really good camera. I think the a6000 kind of stole its thunder because it only costs slightly more than the a5000.