1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A3000 with 18-55 kit for $249 @ B&H

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by WestOkid, Mar 27, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    You have to add it to your cart to see the price. This is a crazy deal. The sensor is better than NEX 6.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow, they are just giving away this camera.

3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Yep, considering the retail price on the SEL1855 is $298, you're getting the camera for better than Free.

I wonder if a replacement model is coming soon.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. GeorgeT

GeorgeT New to TalkEmount

Mar 27, 2015
    I got this camera new 3 months ago for 199Eur in Greece. Thats about 215$

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I am NOT affiliated with these people, but I bought an A3000 with kit zoom for my son as a refurb from "Secondipity" on eBay for $199. It looks absolutely new and was packaged in a Sony refurb box. It was SO nice I got an A58 with kit zoom for $229 AND a HVL-F60M for $279!!!!. Each piece looks and works perfectly and came with everything except rear lens caps and body caps. They packaged and wrapped the bodies with the lenses on. I'm a big refurb fan, and this place has been a great savings! It isn't too long ago that the HVF-F60M would have cost as much as ALL of that gear.

6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    The B&H deal on the A3000 is tempting as a backup to my NEX-6, or when I'm in situations requiring frequent lens swaps. But I'm concerned that the low resolution/low magnification viewfinder would make manual focus difficult and lack of phase detection would impair auto focus. Still, having a spare body in the bag might be handy.

7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    You are 100% correct on the viewfinder. It is best suited only for framing and shooting quicker than a rear screen. I can't even get the diopter to adjust to suit me. BUT for the price, and the quality of the IMAGE for the price, it is money well spent. I'd not trust myself with manual focussing on that screen. It needs to be for the less important grab shots, and the NEX-6 for the critical work (in your situation). It focusses well though, fyi.

8. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    This deal disappeared for a few days, but seems to be back both at B&H and Amazon. It's hard to resist as a backup body.

Also, the Sony hvl-f32m flash has a $50 instant rebate right now, bringing the price to $250 at several sites (e.g. B&H and Glazer's). It's a nice step up from the hvl-f20am flash, and a huge improvement over the flip up flash.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As much as I love my A3000 - my primary and only E-mount body - I have to admit I rarely use the viewfinder and even the LCD sometimes gives me fits when manually focusing either in low light or in really bright daylight (and when I'm holding two other things like when I was walking my dog Katie this morning). But I have managed to get better at manual focus with focus peaking and MF assist magnification. It can be done.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I bought the A3000 for my son's birthday. He's wanted a DSLR for a bit, and specifically didn't want another P/S. It was between the A3000 and an A58, and as he's 12, I thought he'd USE the A3000 more, being simpler. He and I are going to a car show this weekend for his first "shoot" with dad.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    BuyDig has sweetened the deal by throwing in Photoshop Elements 12. I'm finding the A3000 to be a good companion to the NEX-6. It's nice for hikes or sightseeing with my spouse. We can put a different lens on each and swap cameras when we need the other lens. The viewfinder is a little frustrating, but with care I'm able to get great results.