1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A3000 sample images.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    Nice photos

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

3. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Did you shoot these lens hoarder? If so what do you think of the camera? Evf and screen in particular.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    No, they aren't my shots. I found the link on another forum.

5. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    just pixel peeped them a little and they look great. I think I am sold, Jessops also throwing in a £50 bag if you preorder before release.

As with many others here I really only want it as a backup to my 5n, or for studio work when I might want the extra pixels and I have full control of the light. Ill try it instore before I hand over my cash, if the EVF and screen are passable Ill get it.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I checked a few of them and they were shot at ISO 100 so that doesn't tell much about the camera's higher ISO performance. They'd better look great, if not the camera would be a real dud. These are perfect samples for showing lens performance, not camera performance. That's fine with me, but before concluding the camera is great I'd want to check out handling, AF performance, high ISO etc.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    We shall see over time how well the camera performs. But, honestly, we are not the target audience for this camera. Any follow-on bodies will probably be aimed more toward us (enthusiasts). This should make a very nice body for someone that shoots landscapes/static scenes and isn't concerned with AF speed though. That price point is pretty hard to ignore. :)

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    A landscape camera with a 230k dot screen? No thanks. How on earth should you nail focus on such a screen, especially at night where you try to focus on a single star?

But yeah, seems like a nice entry level camera for beginners, not more, not less.

9. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
  10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Not everyone shoots manual focus lenses like we do. ;)

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, I shoot AF lenses, I just turn off the AF. ;)

But actually, there are still many situations where you need to rely on MF, and with a screen with such a low resolution, that's not gonna be fun. Even my five year old compact camera had a higher res screen ...

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  14. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    On sale tomorrow.

15. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    it was indeed on sale today, I had preordered one at my local Jessops and they rang me this afternoon to say it was in. So I am the proud owner of another Nex camera :) Have yet to get a proper go on it but initial impressions are excellent. To put these in context I have been shooting with a Nex 5n for a few years and love it. I bought this as a second body, basically as a backup for professional work (I shoot weddings, etc).

I wanted a hotshoe mount and an evf and this had both so picked one up. Havent tried the hot shoe yet but regardless of resolution the evf is fine, not the best I have seen but perfectly usable, likewise the LCD, although I do miss the tilt!

going to get a few pictures done now to test low light etc, any questions please ask away

16. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    so just did a little unscientific testing with my cat, basically went through the settings on my 5n and a3000 and set everything exactly the same. then took a picture with the nex5n and took the lens off and took a picture with that lens on the a3000. Picture quality looks very, very good on a a3000. The same if not better that the 5n!! I paid £500 for my 5n, amazed Sony has squeezed the same IQ performance out of the a3000 (purely on picture quality, burst speed and other things are not as good).

overall impressed so far, a3000 (3). 5n (3).

17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's the same sensor generation, IQ should be pretty much the same. There's also almost no IQ difference between a Nikon D3200 and a D7100 for example. IQ simply isn't the thing that determines the price of modern ILCs.

18. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Oh yes I know, but it was the one thing I couldn't live without, I expected some drop in IQ and there is none. I really just wanted a DSLR type body to use my e-mount lenses on and its perfect so far. I set my expectations very low and have been pleasantly surprised :)

I consider the Nex line to have some of the best quality in the mid range of £700-800 APS-C DSLRs (actually better than a lot of Nikon and Canon cameras). I am just stunned that I can get big bucks performance out of a camera so relatively cheap. I paid £250 quid for my first serious camera (a Panny fz38) and this while 100 quid more blows it out of the water, it couldn't be used over iso 400 without terrible grain. So far the a3000 impresses greatly.

This was taken with the A3000 at ISO 100 f5.6 on a manual focus Canon FD 1.4 50mm with ceiling bounced flash at 1/2 power (yongyuo type manual flash)

DSC02741.