a3000 next model

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Sep 14, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    I wonder if we will have a a3000 next model. I want a larger nex body with a hotshoe that would be cheap though.
    Any news on that?

Regards
    Alex

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, having been "under the weather" the last week and a half, I haven't posted as much as I'd have liked. I wanted to respond to this as the admitted a3000 "champion" hereabouts, but didn't feel up to it until now.

I'm afraid that I don't think we're likely to see an update/successor to the a3000 anytime soon (unless you count the limited-market a3500 from back in the spring). There has been very little info from the usual rumor sources (i.e., SAR) as to ANY new APS-C E-mount bodies other than the recently announced a5100. And with Sony's recent financial difficulties, I suspect they will want to focus on products that have better profit margins than the low-cost a3000.

While I think that the a3000 has been a relative success for Sony, selling better than many in the enthusiast community might expect - as evidenced in part by its regular standing on Amazon's US Best Selling Compact System Cameras list (currently at #7, and, anecdotally, has been up and down within the top 20 almost throughout its life so far), it certainly cannot be a big money-maker for Sony at its sub-US$400 pricing. The a7 series seems to show Sony's focus on innovating at the higher end of the compact system camera market, and the a6000 represents a strong entry in the middle of the market as well. Both of those are likely much more profitable for Sony than the a3000.

Of course, the a3000, if it is indeed selling as well as the Amazon ranking hints at, must be going to someone. But those someones are likely primarily "entry-level" consumers snapping up a cheap DSLR-like body and lens as a step-up from smartphones or compact point-and-shoots - the same market that Canon's new T5/1200D is aimed at. So, in that sense - introducing new users to the Sony ILC ecosystem - the a3000 may still have a role to fill for Sony going forward.

While I personally will soon be ready to "graduate" to a higher-level model like the a6000, I'd love to see Sony at least update the a3000 to be more competitive against its entry-level ILC rival, the Canon T5/1200D. A higher-resolution LCD screen would go a long way in that respect, as well as an HDMI-out port, and, if I'm really dreaming, an added control/function button or a second control dial (the latter being highly unlikely).

But really, something tells me that if we do see any new E-mount bodies, they will be on the high end, not the low one.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that there is fair change that we will see slightly upgraded A3000 some time in future but not very soon. The reason I think so is competition from Canon and Nikon. Some people just purchase the lowest priced item in its class but some compare things and A3000 LCD and EVF aren't very good. Upgrade to something like doubling the pixels in both.

I think that FF A3000 will come out some time. It is quite logical for Sony to offer about 3 different models for every housing style (small E-mount, DSL-like E-mount and A-mount).

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I saw this as a direct response to the big boys, but a very rushed product.

I know it is capable of producing some great images, but the cheep feeling and no features kept this from catching on.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am thinking A3000 (from Ebay Germany about 150 € body only) as a backup body and toy. More specially I would like to take it and bolt Nikon 300mm/4.5 ED IF and wired remote to a shoulder stock.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I am pretty sure they've released the A3100 only for Australian and some Asian markets. Product cycle for these super cheap models is usually 9-10 months

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I believe you are thinking of the a3500 I mentioned above. It is identical to the a3000 except for a different 18-50mm AF-only (no MF focus ring) kit lens, as an apparent cost-cutting measure. And it I think it was limited to the Australian and some Asian markets as you say. It never made it to North America or Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Oops, yes, I missed that somehow!

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It almost looked like A3000 was thrown together from a bunch of parts produced for other systems.. A loss leader designed to draw people into Sony orbit. Not that it's not a good camera - it has at it's heart a good sensor - but I doubt there's much money in it.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    It is too bad they do not give us any bigger body with just more buttons as an extra option. If you go on a "big" event it might be always nice to have a larger body with much more buttons on it to allow faster changing settings and keeping at the same time your smaller body.

11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Why not get an SLT then ?

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed. You get more features, about the same size.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    why not have two emount bodies for two different usages and I should buy a new slt with a new series of lenses? Whjere do you think I find the money?

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That is the one time I would recommend the a3000, when you already have EMount lenses and want a second body. Then it makes sense.

15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Sorry for resurrecting the old thread, but I just had my first encounter with A3000 in the store (seen them before but never held / played with it).

To be brutally honest, I don't get it.

It's as big as some DSLRs . Probably larger (wider) than Canon SL1, and about the same thickness. There goes one great advantage of mirrorless systems.

It has direct (non tiltable) flash. Just as a DSLR / SLT, only weaker. Here goes another small yet very useful advantage of Sony's mirrorless cameras.

The EVF resolution was beyond poor. I adjusted the diopter wheel to make sure it wasn't just fuzzy. While the EVF is usable enough for general shot framing, I just can't see myself using it for manual focusing.

So, you have a camera the size of DSLR, with DSLR-style direct (yet much weaker) flash, but with slower AF and less battery life. The worst of both worlds, honestly.

About one thing going for it is the great sensor.

I can see this as an entry level for someone who wants to get into E-mounts and eventually upgrade, but I think an A5000 would be a far better choice. Far more of a camera, costs about the same.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. I like mine just fine. To each his own. :)

And here goes my obligatory explanation as the resident A3000 defender ;) .... At the time I chose it, just after its initial release over a year ago, I felt that its larger, more ergonomic grip offset its lower resolution LCD screen in comparison to the then-current similarly-priced NEX-3N (and its successor, the newer A5000). And given that the 3N and A5000 don't have any EVF, well, even the low-res one on the A3000 could be considered a bonus.

I believe Sony intended it as the entry-level path for those looking at a DSLR-style camera moving up from a point-and-shoot compact or smartphone. And other than Canon's higher priced SL1 and its severely cramped grip spacing, the A3000 is actually noticeably smaller than most "real" DSLRs, but certainly not as Sony's compact line of ILCs, the A5000, A5100, or A6000 which serve different intended markets. For me, the A3000 has served its purpose quite well so far, as I'm ready to step to a higher model sometime soon.

That said, it is sorely in need of an update if it is to compete with its intended rivals, particularly Canon's new entry-level DSLR, the EOS Rebel T5 (1200D).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I think you nailed it above.

However, it's larger than SL1 - which IMHO was a strange concept all by itself, the camera is still too large to be truly portable yet, as you so well put it, extremely cramped. (By larger, I mean slightly wider). I'd say it's about the size of Nikon D40, but lighter.

My point is, DSLRs offer high AF speed (including reliable fast low light AF with right lenses) and wide access to wide lens selection including fast (and relatively cheap) zooms, long battery life, at the expense of size and weight.

A3000 has the size (if not weight) but uses E-mount lenses and AF speeds.

Looks like you've made an informed decision based on your specific ergonomic preferences.

But I think most people who don't have these preferences would be better served either by a small mirrorless or a "proper" SLR / SLT camera. Sony did seem to design A3000 to appeal to people who believe that a "real" upgrade from their iPhone or P&S should look just like any other DSLR they see people carrying around, even though they may not really understand why these SLRs look the way they do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. itsscottwilder

itsscottwilder New to TalkEmount

May 5, 2015
    Scott Wilder
    I'm also an a3000 defender. I think some choices were silly. Only full stop ISO increments? But on the whole I love mine. Small DSLR ergonomics (I have small hands so I love the small size), full manual controls, hotshoe, and a great sensor at a really sweet price point. At some point in the future if I can make some $$$ with photography I'll move up to the A7 series. But until then, I'm having a blast with the a3000.

• Like Like x 1