1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A3000 - much improved AF system

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The A3000 wasn't an as exciting camera as many hoped, though it will sell well without doubt. However, there's one detail that really seems new: The AF system. At least it seems so from the only video I've seen so far. Let's hope that's a sign of things to come for higher end NEX cameras.

[video=youtube_share;Obu1oAn6K4Y]http://youtu.be/Obu1oAn6K4Y[/video]

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sony seems to keep touting this and it seems like they're betting a lot on it. I'd be surprised if the AF was every bit as fast as a now-old-school DSLR, but if it's close enough to not be a major issue, that would certainly be great!

I really hope it's not a dud. (I never used to pay much attention to AF performance but my experiences with the EOS-M have shown me what a drag it can be when not done right...)

On another topic, I like the way the newest 5 lets you use your smartphone as a remote monitor via NFC!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    1- I hope Sony sees this as an additional market, not the future of E-Mount.

2- Reminds me more of the original 4/3rd's. Also looks like they just threw it into a superzoom body.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuhxkCDAd01kPAcv1oseMgGaFC3eoiV9DTapoBaOpHAhR4nqUs.

3- Great price point though!! The 6 and 7's got a bit pricey.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I bet Sony thinks all these people who want an upgrade from their smartphone go into camera stores and ask "Hey, I want something better. What's the best DSLR for my 400 bucks?". It's a fact many people who don't know anything about photography still think 'bigger is better', and camera stores fail to tell them the truth, so it may be a smart move to bring these people to the E-Mount as well.

5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I was looking at Sony's new offerings on Amazon. The Nex-5T looks very similar to my 5R, except it adds Near Field Communication. The A3000 appears to me to be a Nex stuffed into a DSLR-like body - and according to Endgadget, it is functionally similar to the 3N. The price is appealing, and it might be low enough to buy as a second camera. I always shoot legacy lenses on my 5R, but the A3000 and a Sigma 19 or 30 might be a heckuva backup. The thought is tempting.

Tony

PS: If it becomes available without a lens for about $100 less, I'd probably grab one, because I have a SEL1855 sitting unused.

6. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2012
    That's exactly what I've been thinking... an A3000 with half-decent kit zoom and the Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes. One could have plenty of fun without worrying too much about trashing the camera. And then I'd have those Sigmas for when I plan the pick up the NEX-6 on closeout. ;)

Ditto. We've all been spoiled. Haven't we? A brand-new APS-C camera comes out for only $399 and already we're trying to bargain it down. :biggrin:

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm.. Weird as the Phoblographer has reported totally otherwise. He says the slowest AF he ever saw on a NEX (but admits if might be due to the unit being pre-production...)

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    LOL! I'm not really in the market for a new camera, given that my 5R is about 6 months old. However, I will be watching the holiday sales closely . . . not that the A3000 will ever be sold body only.

Tony

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The video might be wrong, as the A3000 seems like it already was pre-focused. But still, seemed faster than my NEX ...

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    But with the second highest resolution of any NEX. Second only to the NEX 7. I need a NEX with higher resolution. I've been waiting for the successor to the NEX 7 to come out so that I can pickup the NEX 7 for cheap. At $400 for this though, I'm sold. As long as the sensor holds up to the same standard set by the NEX, 20MP at half the price of the NEX 7's 24MP is good enough for me. I don't need speed. I don't need portability. I have my RX100 for that. I need something with high resolution to play with legacy glass. This is perfect for that.

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    20MP vs 16MP doesn't really make a difference. I printed photos huge with 14 MP and never had a problem, and when calculating optimum print sizes, the difference between 16 and 20MP is within a few centimeters. I wouldn't base my purchase decision purely on a 5% increase in vertical resolution.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Additionally your lenses should be of high enough resolution. I would prefer 16 MP with better noise figure to 20 MP with higher resolution.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Ah, the old 'more pixels more noise' myth. Don't worry, you won't get more noise when the image is magnified to the same size. But it's right, you probably won't get the full resolution out of the kit lens, at least not before f/8 while avoiding the extremes of the zoom range.

14. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I don't print so the limitations of paper doesn't effect me. It's how it looks on screen. 20MP definitely makes a difference. My RX100 with a 20MP yet smaller sensor outresolves my NEX.

15. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    That's where the legacy lenses come into play. Also, I find that lower resolution doesn't mean lower noise. It just means lower resolution. Take the higher resolution image and blur it down to the lower resolution and it'll have the about the same level of noise.

16. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Funny really. You summed me up as well. I've been waiting for another NEX-7, but the cost has to drop. Then this comes along .... hello.

I need a static camera mounted on a tripod pre focused on a perch with the 800mm, while the NEX-7 has the 500mm for fast hand holding. As you say, if the sensor is a good one at 20 meg, I' will end up with one more than likely.

All the best.

Danny.

17. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Jep. The noise is a statistical thing. Take a 20 MP image and scale it to 5 MP and noise don't show as much while the noise is there. Kind of adding 4 random small numbers will produce roughly same number every time but variance with individual numbers is high and that shows.

Pixel densities are pretty high already. I think that most lenses are limiting factor already. The a3000 has got something like 200 pixels per linear mm and resolutions of legacy lenses are something like 75 lp/mm at max. Some additional information will be get but returns from additional MP are diminishing. Difference from 16 MP to 20 MP is so small (sqrt(20/16) is 1.12, that is 12% more pixels per linear mm) that there is very little effect.

It might be fun pixel peeping Panagor 90mm/2.8 macro images from different sensors. However focusing is so important with that macro that small focusing errors have much more meaning than actual resolutions. At least in macro work.

18. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    That's what I do. ;) For me, it's the same sensor with a bunch of different lenses.

Your Page Title

I've been holding off doing more lenses since I've concluded the resolution of my NEX is the limiting factor since the RX100 blows it away. I didn't want run them all and then have to run them all again with a higher resolution sensor. It's time consuming to get things lined up. I've been waiting for a reasonably priced NEX 7. The A3000 will do.

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You won't find a 20MP screen anytime soon. And keep in mind the RX100 has a Zeiss lens. It sure outresolves a NEX with a cheapo kit lens, if you want to compare camera sensors use a lens of equal quality.

After all, the difference between 16 and 20MP is too small to notice in most situations, no matter what you do with your photos.

20. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Jep. That is the point for me. As I don't have good enough lenses (I have Contax Sonnar 85mm/2.8, Panagor 90mm/2.8 macro, Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm/2.8, Minolta 50mm/3.5 Macro and Takumar 100mm/4 macro [maybe Tair 3 and Nikon 180mm/2.8 ED too]in the upper end of resolution) extra pixels don't help me. For some one with modern good quality primes there is probably a difference. I think that only Panagor macro from my lenses may benefit from extra pixels.