1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

a3000/ILC3000 first Impressions and sample images

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mathieu Decodts, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi folks,

been a long time Nex5n shooter and love it, my favourite camera ever, I have shot professionally with it and I own a number of e-mount lenses as well as a pile of old Canon FD legacy lenses. I am telling you this as context for my first impressions of the a3000 , which I just bought today. I was buying it as a backup second body for professional work because I have always felt naked on pro wedding shoots as I dont have a plan B should something go wrong with my 5N. So I set my expectations low, it had to take e-mount and have the same IQ as the 5n. That was basically it. I wanted an evf and hotshoe and a manual dial for mode select. I knew I would miss the articulating LCD as I shoot candid and like to shoot from the hip, but as a plan B I could cope with a "standard" DSLR. SO with the scene set onto the impressions

First and most important for me image quality, see below example.
    This was taken with the A3000 at ISO 100 f5.6 on a manual focus Canon FD 1.4 50mm with ceiling bounced flash at 1/2 power (yongyuo type manual flash)

Basically great, no let down at all for the Nex line.

Bearing in mind I have only had it a few hours here are my thoughts.
    Pros:
    Build quality is very good, feels like a really sturdy bridge camera rather than a DSLR, much nicer than the HX300 that it appears to mimic.
    Grip is lovely and rubber coated :D
    EVF is great if a little small, very usable, no problem manual focusing, I normally magnify anyway and it works a treat.
    Buttons and dial at the back are identical to 5N
    Menus and operation are identical to 5n :)
    Generic Hotshoe! (and big enough grip to use a big flash)
    Mode dial is nice, sturdy and grippy

Cons
    The thumb rest on the back is that pretend rubber plastic.
    Burst rate is slow
    No electronic front curtain (assumed from shutter noise and lack of option in menu)
    LCD has a weird refresh flicker in menus (fine while shooting live view though, battery saving?)
    Menus and operation are identical to 5n :(
    Built in flash is tiny, smaller than the 5n and pretty weedy.

sorry for the brief impressions, I want to get using it!

Any questions please ask away, any specifics happy to shoot examples, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  2. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Please put up photos of the camera with the lens attached and High iso Images!! Anyway Thanks for your thread!!! I am looking forward to this camera

How is the AF with AFlenses??

3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    To me, any E camera that sells good and opens up more interested to bring more lenses to our system, is a welcome addition. Thanks for sharing.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks for the post. I wanted to check one at at Best Buy today but they don't have them on display. They said they may never put them on display even though they have them in stock. The manager said she would open up a new one and let me play with it but I told her I didn't want them to go to the trouble. I'm waiting for the Sony announcements that are supposedly happening this week. Unless there is either:

1) A NEX 7 replacement that will drive down NEX 7 prices.
    2) A magical E Mount AF sensor camera.
    3) A really cheap NEX FF camera

Announced, I'm buying a A3000.

5. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Just did half an hour walk about at lunch with the sigma art line 30mm and AF is fine. Possibly a fraction quicker than the 5n, but definitely not slower. I'll post some of the shots tonight. High iso seems the same as the 5n from testing last night, however I can do something a little more scientific and get back to you on here. As for pics of the body, Google is your friend!

DSC02811 (Large). DSC02814 (Large). DSC02817 (Large).

all straight from camera Jpegs

6. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    for those that like this kind of thing here are some shots of the packaging

DSC02825 (Large). DSC02826 (Large). DSC02827 (Large). DSC02828 (Large).

7. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Just noticed a bit of a blip, the ARW RAW files seem to be different than the nex5n ones. My version of RAW Therapee opens the files with serious colour issues, no doubt a update is required to fix it. I dont have lightroom to try it, but I will give the sony software a go.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Something tells me Sony is going to sell a great many of the A/ILCE series cameras. It will interesting to see what the specs for the follow-on bodies will be.

9. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    It cost me £349 and because I pre-ordered Jessops also gave me a free techno gadget bag, worth £50 (more like 20 quid as it's pretty cheap feeling). That's a ton of professional results for tiny money. Still can't believe it.

10. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I completely agree. Yet there is so much anger directed toward Sony and the A3000. Check out DPR. There are so many hate threads about the A3000. I'll go with the most popular explanation for the hate. It's from people that are jealous/angry that a $400 camera takes better pictures than the camera they paid much more for.

Here's the most hilarious poster.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52131502

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the nice review!

For that price I'm seriously thinking of buying the a3000 but before I do I want to know what it lacks compared to the higher-end Nex models (Nex-6 and Nex-7).
    Is the sensor the same as found on the Nex6 or 7? It doesn't seem so...

12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    It's the same sensor as the A58. Resolution wise it fits in between the NEX 6 at 16MP and the NEX 7 a 24MP. Sony should have used it in the NEX 6 to have differentiated it from the NEX 5.

13. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Some pics of the body. The main problems are tiny evf (but usable) and tiny built in flash. Build quality is rugged polycarbonate type plastic. Shooting experience is great mostly because of the grip, makes a massive difference to manual focus legacy glass, which I shoot a lot.

Attached Files:

14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    It just struck me: do you think the choice for naming this model "a3000" shows that perhaps a "a5000" will follow (as per Nex)?

:D

15. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nick please have a look at Kirk Tuck's blog before you do anything you could sorely regret...

16. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    A little background

Thanks Mathieu for the impressions and pics.
    I am seriously considering getting the a3000. This would be my first APS-C camera, NEX, ILC, or otherwise. I came awfully close to getting the new NEX-3N before this a3000 was announced. So my question would be how the a3000 compares to the NEX-3N (or other 3-series cameras) as opposed to the 5, 5N, 5R, 5T, 6 and 7 which seem to clearly be higher end models w/r/t features and most specs. How does the 230K LCD really look for live view, is it truly useable?

UPDATE: A little background: for budgetary reasons I have decided to stick to the 3- or 5-series NEX/ILCE cameras from Sony, and the 5 would be a stretch. I currently have and mostly use a Sony HX100V from 2011, and I really like the form factor of it. I have done a lot of research on the various brands and models, and for the price, it really comes down to the a3000 and NEX-3N, both retailing for about US$399 right now. I have had several other compact digital cameras, and, back in the day, had an actual 35mm film Nikon FG-20 with a Nikon E-series 50mm/f1.8 lens and another telephot zoom (can't remember the brand, not Nikon). I'd love to use those lenses again... thus my focus on the E-mount cameras.

As the viewfinder on the HX100V is apparently the same 201K dots as that on the a3000, and I don't use it all that much - glasses get in the way - the quality of the LCD screen is my only big concern with the a3000. And that's also the same reason I delayed jumping at the 460K dot screen of the 3N. Of course, it turns out that the Canon SX230HS compact I also have has a 460K screen and it seems fine. And that Canon's predeccesor in my "stable", the SX200is, has a 230K screen, which looking at it now honestly looks grainy, but I know I never had any issues with it and took great shots with it (especially in Rome).

SO, any more impressions on the LCD of the a3000 and the AF speed as well, would be much appreciated as I make my $400 decision.

Thanks.

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I don't have the A3000 but the LCD is the same unit used on the A37, and it's godawful :( I returned the A37, which I liked a lot otherwise, due to that screen. Plain unusable.

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Is the EVF of the a3000 that worse than that on the Nex-6/7? If yes, in what terms?

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Not the same at all, please go check Kirk Tuck's blog, he professionally uses 6 and 7 and describes the A3000 in detail, he handled it in Berlin this week-end. He's a pro who ditched all his previous gear to go all SOny over a year ago, he's not a Sony hater at all, but what he wrote about the A3000 is chilling...

20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I already did ;)