1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A walk in the woods

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ErickSaint, Jun 16, 2013.

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Man, the level of detail in the bark on that last shot is amazing.

3. tmldds

tmldds New to TalkEmount

Jun 5, 2013
    All fine shots, but the last one is outstanding! I would love to see a B+W of that one.

4. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks. I was having some issues with my kit lens that day in the bright sun. Almost every shot with it ended up out of focus, not sure what that was about. Guessing something wonky with the focus points or something, not really sure what type of focus mode yields the best results.

Those tree shots were both with the kit lens, and they were among the few that turned out. I actually shot those trees with the thought of running them through Silver Efex Pro. I have a few other tree shots that I plan on making a B&W series out of, just need the time to do it.

For some reason I'm drawn to old twisty gnarly trees while out hiking, seem to have a lot of them in my library.

5. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
  6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    well done Erick, i like the PP, nice

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The b&w trees are something special

8. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    I'm a beginner so feel free to ignore.

I kind of the second shot plus the black and white tree. The others seemed dull to me and when it comes to all of those black and white trees in the album, with everything in focus and looking the same I'm not drawn in. They definitely look cool, for a second, but then I'm done. Maybe that's a problem of having so many look the same rather than any individual picture though... it's hard to tell.

How did you feel about the photos though, did you really like all of them? I found it curious that you tagged them all with your name, and I would have thought you'd save that for the best of the best. What's your thinking?

9. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    It's just an idea I had in my head for a series of trees in black and white. When I took the original shots I pictured them black and white in my head. I like the way most turned out, they could probably be made better if I were to decide to print any.

As for the watermark, it is applied automatically in the JPEG export process. Just as my name and copyright is added to the files upon import form the camera to Lightroom.

The thinking behind it is, the only pictures I put online are compressed JPEG's, not raws. If my pics should end up "taken" for use by somebody, be it money making or otherwise, they have to work a little to get my info off the picture. If they want to use it or purchase a better quality, they can contact me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    This is really beautiful woodland. Do keep taking the shots and mixing colour and B&W.

11. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks. I'll be back out hiking in the woods tomorrow. I love being out there, it helps me recenter after a week at work. Doing 11-12 mile stretch tomorrow, looking forward to it.

12. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Sounds great, Erick. I'll be going out in the morning, too, but only 6-7 miles this week. Looking forward to your next set of pics.

Tony

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy.