1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A VERY Short Time Lapse Video (NEX-6 & SEL55210)

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by WoodWorks, Jul 26, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Inspired by Tony Turley's aircraft video, I download Sony's Time Lapse app and shot this very short test video, just to see how it works. I used the PhotoPills app to time it out, shot it with my NEX-6 and the SEL55210, and then dumped it into iMovie and applied a little Ken Burns effect.

Now that I've tried it, it does give me some ideas. :idea:

[video=vimeo;71133804]https://vimeo.com/71133804[/video]

2. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice. Much smoother than mine, and the white balance was the same on all the frames. :D

3. FatDadddy

FatDadddy TalkEmount Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    Was this recorded in AVCHD? I'm thinking of getting a 27"i'mac this weekend but hesitant on the use of avchd files.

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, it was. I had no problem with the file in iMovie.

5. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    Do you also add your avchd videos to iMovies for projects?

6. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    By the way. Your timelapse was really great!

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Not sure what you're asking there, Dave. I don't shoot many videos, so I'm no expert. But when I do, I just import the AVCHD files into iMovie directly from the SD card, and then edit them. Does that answer your question? If not, could you elaborate?

8. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    That answered it. There are lots of articles on the web saying that iMovie does not accept avchd. Thanks again!

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think that may have been true with older versions of iMovie. But clearly iMovie 9 accepts them just fine.

10. Savageajc

Savageajc TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Hm where is this video at? Am I missing the link??

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My guess is that you're trying to view it on your iPad, yes? For some reason, the embedded video doesn't show up when viewing it on an iOS device. It's confounding, and I don't know if it's a limitation of Vimeo, the forum software, or iOS, but to see it, you'll have to view it on a regular, old computer.

12. matlacki

matlacki New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    I can see it on my Android phone without any problems so must be something to do with iOS.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TalkNEX mobile app

13. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Nicely done. I just got my NEX-6 last week and also got the time lapse app. Just haven't had the change to try it out yet.

14. Savageajc

Savageajc TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh ok yea I'm on an iPad, time to fire up the ol desktop haha

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Vimeo use Flash & iOS no do Flash. Sadly it's that simple. :frown:

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, yes and no. When I play one of my Vimeo videos (including this one) on my Mac, it plays the HTML5 version. I know this because the static image shows the HTML5 logo on the image, and I have Click-to-Flash installed on my Mac, which blocks all Flash videos and animations.

But for some reason the same thing doesn't happen on either of my iOS devices. Dunno why.

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Strange, I got the Flash version on my MB Pro, hence my post. Maybe you get the HTML5 version because you have Flash blocked & that's the Vimeo default?

18. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's what I suspect. I know that other video streaming services like YouTube also automatically switch to HTML5 if Flash is blocked or unavailable. But for some reason Vimeo doesn't seem to switch on iOS devices. Though clearly it will play HTML5 videos on desktops and laptops. Is a puzzlement.