1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A very muggy walk

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TonyTurley, Jul 6, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I don't use my Vivitar 28/2.8 Auto WA lens very often, so I decided to take it for a stroll this morning. I definitely have better lenses. Even though this one is made by Komine, it tends to be soft, especially in the corners. The photos aren't terrible; they're just not that great.

Tony

I saw a couple of turtles giving themselves mud baths today. Women pay big bucks for this at a spa. Go figure.

Turtle_zps96c7ee0b.

More dead leaves.

DeadLeaves_zpscc812b6e.

Loads of raspberries, some deep in the woods, some out in the sun. The humidity was oppressive at times, so I definitely earned the mess of berries I took home.

FirstBerries_zps00a69f03.

Berries_CloseUp_zps047760db.

Berry_Patch_zps471c1979.

Lots of fungi after this week's rains. Edible . . . or lethal? Who knows?

Fungi_1_zpsf9955a38.

Fungi_2_zpsb908a472.

Fungi_3_zps7d968226.

Interesting old White Oak. Lots of reaction wood there.

OldOak_zps20b66834.

This is new this week. Fallen trees are really common in our woods.

FallenTree_zps4a7e0244.

Another spider web. I just took this one so I could compare the bokeh with the Vivitar 100-200mm and 200mm prime. The longer lenses win, hands down.

SpiderWeb_zps668e0803.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I envy you your woods. The forest here is rather sparse and tends to be only waist high at best. But the humidity is low. :)

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I do love our woods, Jim, and I make a point to enjoy them year round. Our humidity can be rather high, and if you forget your bug spray - like I did a few weeks ago - you'll pay dearly. What is odd - and very refreshing - is you can be walking through a lush wet area with high humidity, climb the trail and go around a bend, and suddenly find yourself in a drier area with a nice, cooling wind. Our topography is so varied, it never ceases to amaze me, and I've lived here all my life.

Tony

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I'm still struck by how similar your landscape is to ours in Northern Europe. Minus the tortoises.

You even seem to have the same mushrooms. If so I believe that the yellow ones are delicius chantarelles and the red one is poisonous. But don't take my word for it.

Your landscape is very beautiful.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Jaf. There are some people who are very good at identifying edible fungi, but I'm not one of them. I don't take chances on them.

Tony

6. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Did you post process these at all? I like your compositions but the lighting seems a bit flat to me, meaning not much contrast or "pop". I would boost whites a bit and maybe lower blacks but make sure not to lose details in shadows. I'd also increase color saturation just a tad to accentuate the green a bit more. Of course, I'm a newb so I'm just expressing my gut reaction :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    For some odd reason, I like the turtle shot best! :eek:

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Still like the spider web shot best :)

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I did PP them somewhat, to boost contrast a bit and accentuate the highlights slightly. Most of these photos were taken in very deep shadow, and I didn't want to lose that feeling.

Tony