1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A short gear story to make you smile

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nianys, Feb 23, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    My Fuji loaning friend is parting with all his DSLR AF lenses (Nikon mount, as he's an old time Fuji S user), and I offered to list the lenses for him, since I have a pristine eBay profile with high count feedback and time on my hands to deal with the sales.
    So he sent me his four lenses, which I listed. Today I was selling the second one, a Tamron Superzoom that I wouldn't touch with a pole (my friend had used it ONCE on a one week trip, and nerv taken out of the box ever since). My buyer came with a friend, who played the "photo expert" part. They had brought the buyer's Nikon D40x. For those unfamiliar with Nikon, that's the smaller, cheapo entry level class of Nikon bodies, and it's also at least 4 generations old. Basically now a 150/200$ camera.
    On my dining table sat my NEX 7 with SEL 35/1.8 mounted, and my friend's loaner X-E1 with Fujinon 35/1.4. Quite a desirable and powerful pair...
    The driver looks at my cameras and says, proudly : Personally, I have a D90. I say, Oh, I have one too :) He looks at me quizically and says, a bit perplexed : "and you like those small bodies better now ? The D90 is really a beast". At this point I'm mentally scracthing my head and wondering how not to hurt his feelings. I say Sure, I love mine, it's perfect when I need a fast , reactive body for action photography, but for everything else those two pretty much trump it.
    There, I see on the guy's face that he thinks I'm a clueless female talking nonsense. I feel the need to help him, and think that, at his obvious photographic knowledge level, MPs are gonna help. So I point at the 7 and say "Well this baby here has the latest Sony APS-C 24Mp sensor, it's not too shabby".
    A haze of doubt clouds his eyes for a second, then he answers : Well anyway I've had them bridge cameras too, they're convenient for the big zoom (I have a short prime mounted on each mirrorless body in sight) but in the end nothing beats a DLSR.
    I vigorously nodded and smiled to myself, took the other guy's money and wished him beautiful vacation pictures with his newly acquired big zoom.
    After they left I was able to openly laugh my butt off looking at two of the hottest cameras of the moment being mistaken for bridges ;)
    My husband and I got such a kick out of it I thought I'd share !

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice!!! :D

Out of curiosity, what lenses did you list?

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Sigma 30/1.4 HSM (super nice lens)
    Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 WA (sold)
    and two travel zooms :
    Tamron 18-270 LD DiII (sold)
    and Tamron 18-250 LD DiII (cheaper but sharper and better than the 270)/
    All were minty, boxed with original invoices and priced to sell. 30/1.4 and 18-250 still available.

Helped my friend to fuel is Fuji X addiction, lol.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    None are so blind as those who will not see. I know, I used to be one of them. ;)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You're a much kinder soul than I am, Claire. I don't think I could have resisted making your buyer's "expert" look foolish. But then, I probably would have lost the sale in the bargain. :rolleyes:

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    ^^^ This! ^^^

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks for the compliment, I do pride myself in trying to be kind ;)

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I read the "Some NEX 7 and X-E1 pics" thread before this one, now I got it - this is a bridge camera users' support group.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell everybody, it's a secret! ;)

10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well yeah NEX is the bridge to FF :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2