1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Ride to Mt. Shasta

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WoodWorks, Jan 19, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Mt. Shasta, 14,162 ft. (4,317m) is about an hour's ride south of my house, and with the temperature finally climbing above freezing, and me needing no excuse whatsoever to go riding, I pointed my bike south, and my NEX-6 at whatever looked interesting. We've been under an inversion layer for many days now, and the atmosphere was hazier than I would have preferred.

[​IMG]

But that didn't matter so much when I got up close to a local artist's work.

[​IMG]

Nearing the foot of the mountain, I veered off to explore the scenery along dirt roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friendly horse came up to pose for the camera.

[​IMG]

As did my "Iron" horse.

[​IMG]

All shot with the NEX-6 and the 16-50mm kit lens. And may I just say here that the inventor of heated grips deserves a Nobel prize! :)

2. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    All beautiful ;)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very, very nice shots! :)

I too once had a bike and my intent was to get out and take more pics. Unfortunately I liked riding better than I liked stopping, so not many pics got taken. Oh, well, the rides were nice. ;)

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I suffer from the same malady, Jim. Last May I rode the length of Baja California, much of it off-road in spectacular landscapes, and came back with far fewer photos than I expected. But I had a huge grin on my face the entire ride. :cool:

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Beautiful shots, beautiful area you live close to David!

That 16-50 kit lens IQ is impressive and performed really nicely.

I especially like the dragon photo... but that old house photo is just amazing!

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Dang - way to scour the valley! You're making me want to get a bike again!

7. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Nice series of images. I favor the last one. Probably because I’ve been riding BMW bikes since 1976. Never had heated grips, used what they use to call “Elephant Ears” that covered part of the handlebars and covered your hands and arms. I did however use an electric vest in the winter.
    Beautiful area out there! You did it justice!
    Bruce

8. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I really like the 1 of the old building just stunning.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice photos, nice scenery ;)

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice series, like the story.

11. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Great photos. Beautiful area. Had to be a little cold on the bike but well worth it.

12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I just noticed the multiple jet vapour trails on some of the pics. I guess the domestic airline industry in the USA is pretty busy. I kinda like the vapour trails on the dragon shot... as if other imaginary dragons flew past and scratched the sky! ;)

13. mobias

mobias TalkEmount Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    Spectacular landscape, great shots

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, the main jet route between the San Francisco Bay Area airports and Seattle go right over Shasta (and Ashland, my home). And when it's very cold up there, and the upper level winds are calm, the contrails sometimes linger for hours and fill the sky.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I wish the N6/16-50 combo had been out when I was riding a lot! I used to pull over to the shoulder and risk my neck a lot for a cruddy P&S capture. ;)

16. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    like them all,but the old house just sneeks it