1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A real world NEX 3N user review

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice review Claire, very useful info for anyone considering picking up a 3N. :)

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks Claire, did an excellent job there, well would be a good guideline for those enthusiasts who want to start on any NEX. Anyway you're a good photographer, I think is NOT the camera, is the photographer heeee ... thanks for sharing. Love thos pics on your blog.
    Greeting

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have always said, a good photographer can take a great image on a losey camera.

4. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Always love your photos. Very helpful review for anyone considering the 3N and a good reminder to me that any of my poor images are solely my fault. :)

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Glad to hear from you again, Claire!

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Glad ya all liked it. Really capable little camera :)

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice review Claire. Really enjoyed the read and the great photos of your wonderful family ;)

Can't believe the amazing deal you got the camera for!!!
    I agree with Dave and Freddy above: a good photographer can produce stunning photos from just about any camera ;) Good to hear from you

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello, I glad that you made the effort to write this review to help others.

9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Very few people use Manual mode as the main shooting mode. I feel 3N is too limiting for advanced users. I don't know what Sony is thinking when designing 3N. They moved the customizable button from center to the right button. So you either use the default ISO and lose customizable menu, or use the customizable menu and lose quick access to ISO.

10. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    I think you may be wrong,
    The customisable button can have ISO as one of the 6 custom choices. I made it the first one so it still tied in with the ethos of the button.

So to me you can have ISO on the button, or ISO and 5 other functions from a (limited) choice.

Jeff

11. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    But one more key press, isn't it? That's why I said you can customize the right button, but lose QUICK access to ISO.

What I'm wondering, is why Sony moved the customizable key from Center to Right button. It's just firmware change. It's as if they go out of the way to make NEX 3N inconsistent with 5's.

12. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Nice review! I recently bought the NEX-3N and I love it. Great starter camera, great serious camera. As for the battery charging situation, I just purchased the Wasabi external charger for US$27.99 from Amazon, which comes with two extra batteries as well.

13. Cinders

Cinders TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    I needed to save some money so I downgraded from my Fuji XE-1 to the 3n. I'm really enjoying it. Someone bought it just for the power zoom so I bought the body from them cheap, $260 USD which came with an OM adapter and OM 50mm. I've since bought the Sigma 30mm. I'm enjoying it's tiny size, and the lack of buttons doesn't bother me too much. I loved Fuji's manual controls for everything, but I mostly just keep the camera on raw and aperture priority with auto ISO, so I don't need to change a bunch of settings. I was surprised how much smaller it was than my Fuji. I really miss my EVF though, and there's a strange shutter sound it makes. Some people online are saying it's a fake shutter sound, some people say it's not. I don't know, but it's pretty loud, and I was able to slightly muffle it with a sticker over the speaker. I'll just have to get used to it. Anyways, very good camera for the price.

14. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    nianys,

I don't understand why you need to be so harsh, arrogant and personal towards forum members in your follow up blog. You have the right to write whatever you like in your blog, but this is not nice at all. Maybe, being nasty and controversial brings you more traffic?

The reason we like your review post, is because you tell us YOUR real world experience with the 3N. But since you posted the link to this public forum, you cannot expect everybody to agree with YOUR evaluation.

My comments, were about some of the limitations and inconsistencies of 3N, and your using M mode as the main mode differs from lot of other people. What makes you so angry? For any potential buyers, it's better for them to know any potential shortcoming. If these shortcomings do not matter to the potential buyer, all the better.

I have older, cheaper cameras too. And I still take pride in using them. You don't know the forum members much, why assume anyone not agreeing with you are "insecure folks"? I like your review post, I even like the 3N, but I'm really annoyed by your "Why excellent cheap cameras annoy insecure folks" blog.

15. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    What is the difference between the NEX 3N and the NEX F3. The only company with worse nomenclature for their products is Apple. iPad's and iMac's. A hundred different iterations. So back to Sony. I have a C3 which I absolutely love. But I might give it to my daughter and replace it with a 3N or the F3. Once I figure out the difference between those two models. Thanks for your assistance with a newbie. My previous cameras included Olympus OM SLRs, a 4x5 field camera, a Lumiz FZ100 and, my favorite, the Rollei SL66 medium format SLR with interchangeable Zeiss lenses. But the NEX? Just love it. Even with its quirks. No help me to understand the difference between the 3N and F3. Thanks!!!!

16. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    A few differences I can think of,

* Different kit lens, 3N with 16-50mm, and F3 with 18-55mm. 3N has that zoom lever for on-camera power zoom;
    * 3N is much more compact, while the F3 is bigger (the grip maybe more comfortable for some);
    * F3 has more customizable buttons;
    * F3 has accessory port which the 3N does not;
    * F3 has a better LCD;

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Brian, Claire is nothing if not a person of passionately held opinions. And as one of those misguided ignoramuses who thinks quite highly of the "hateful 16-50 powerzoom," I have often found myself having to sift through a pile of chaff to get to the tasty wheat in her writings. Ultimately, it's just one person's opinion. Some of us can express them without causing offense, and some of us struggle with that. Lord knows I'm no role model there. My free advice (and worth every penny!): life is short, let it go. And eat dessert first! ;)

18. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Eno, just in case you haven't noticed, I'm not getting into ANY more arguments on this board. Heck, I haven't even visited it for ages, just did a few days ago to link to the review as I thought it might be helpful. Actually, I'm not even here. But if you feel offended by my blog post, feel free to repost your comment on the blog, and I will not only approve it there, but also answer it properly.
    And thanks David for the support, at least it's how I took it ;)

19. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    I think you perhaps over reacted there!
    perhaps there was a little dig at Camera Snobs - I also go Mountain Biking, my bike cost many more times what most spend on a camera, and there as snobs there too. My brother in Law has a cheap bike , and comes with me all the time and enjoys what he has. I never mention the price of my bike to him, or anyone unless asked.
    I don't like snobs, and I'd have a dig also - they deserve it for trying to show off.
    I have a massively expensive bike, and the cheapest of cheap cameras, the Nex 3N. And love em both equally ;-)

J