1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A real eye-opener last night, salvaging an image

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by roundball, Aug 14, 2016.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Right at dark last night I noticed a big Whitetail Buck moving slowly through some woods 50-60 yards away. Threw my 400/4.5 on the NEX-7, set ISO400, and eased the kitchen window up. Resting on the window sill, just as I was pressing the shutter, the steam bath from high 90's temps and high 90's humidity hit the front of the cool 68* lens, and it instantly fogged up. (First photo)

With nothing to lose, I started experimenting with various controls in an editor (FastStone) and to my complete surprise was able to get the white glow to disappear. By normal IQ standards the final is still not a keeper in the normal sense of course, but at least a surprise example of things that can be corrected I was not aware of. (2nd photo)

081316 Color A_Double.Throat.Patch.Original_Steambath Fogged Lens.

081316 Color B_Double.Throat.Patch_FS-Shad100-HL100+LCon15-LSat25+CCon75_FLKR+Shp50.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    There's a lot you can do, especially if shooting raw and using a good processor.

Parts of the photo below looked the same as yours "before", taken in a hot and humid overcast Florida afternoon right after leaving an air conditioned museum. I cleaned up the glass the best I could but some spots just fogged over right away, I believe the entire right side of the image was hazy. You can still see it near the tree and statue on the right, where I missed a spot.

20667432470_b74b87ca64_k. DSC03413 11 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

I liberally used the Clarity brush in C1P and then ran a Local Tone Mapping filter in Paint Shop Pro.

Btw did you try lifting shadows in your photo ? It looks like there's still ways to make it "pop".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I experimented with the normal variety of choices, including 'shadows'.
    It was very dark back where he was inside those woods, and I'm sure I got it as light as I could without causing some other problems...was amazed I could salvage it as much as I did :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Hi Bill,
    I think you did a pretty good job especially if you wanted to retain the night environment in the photo. Any more correction and the viewer might think the photo was taken in broad daylight in a dark forest!

With regard to lens fogging, I learned a trick I use in the tropics (e.g., when venturing out of a cruise ship cabin onto a veranda), by attaching a clear filter (like a uv) while in a dry environment, when you expose the lens to the warm humid environment the thin filter will acclimate more quickly and the big thick glass can take its good old time coming to temps without acquiring condensation. The important caveat is that the trapped air behind the filter HAS to be dry, since you won't be easily able to dry the main lens without removing the filter and then you have blown the whole mission.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Another trick is to warm up your lens a bit with a hair dryer before leaving your air conditioned room into the warm muggy air.

• Informative Informative x 2