1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A rare (to me) Female Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Feb 22, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FDn 300 on NEX-7

Since the Baltimore Oriole never returned yesterday, and no other birds wanted anything to do with the grape jelly I had put out for the Oriole…this morning I sprinkled a layer of mealworms on top of the jelly, and added a dab of peanut butter on one side to see if that would help attract anything.

Lo and behold, I looked out a few minutes later and see this pretty Woodpecker with its beak shoved deep down into the grape jelly…never touched the mealworms or peanut butter, just kept going down under them into the jelly…managed to get a few shots.

At first I thought it was a Male Ladder-Backed Woodpecker…had never seen one before that I recall...but I've since decided its a Female Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I’m optimistic that I might have accidentally found a way to keep that new arrival bird coming.

The Female Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.....which surprised me this morning at the grape jelly I had actually put out for the Baltimore Oriole…..CAME BACK to the grape jelly again late this afternoon !
    So rest assured, grape jelly will be in that tree trunk feeder until further notice, LOL.

Couple shots from this afternoon…Canon FDn 400/4.5 on NEX-7

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA

She came back again this afternoon ! That’s 2 mornings and 2 afternoons, right to that tree trunk feeder with the grape jelly in the top.
    Looks like I may have a ‘resident-in-the-making’…just refreshed the grape jelly in case she gets here at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning…don’t want her to start roaming around because of an empty feeder if I can help it.
    Next question now is whether or not a Male shows up…if one does, then I’d be very surprised if they’d leave such a food supply with spring breeding / nest building season right here on us.

Canon FDn 400/4.5

[/URL
    ]

• Like Like x 2
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And she came back again a couple times today...straight to that same tree trunk with grape jelly in the top. That's twice a day for 3 days in a row...I may now have a resident Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker !!

• Like Like x 1