1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

a question of dust

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pellicle, Oct 28, 2018.

1. pellicle

pellicle TalkEmount Regular

Hi
    I took some shots at f11 the other day and was surprised by a long forgotten foe called dust.

Does the A7 not have some sort of proprietary dust buster system?

My rocket blower is happy to see me again ;-)

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There is a cleaning mode somewhere in the A7's menus but I never noticed any benefits from it. Same for the A7R2. The rocket blower is my first line of defense, after a few outings I blow out the sensor chamber. I also regularly blow off dust from the rear of the lenses and their caps. If the rocket blower doesn't cut it, I do a wet clean. You can safely say that all the A7 models are fairly prone to collect dust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The open sensor is a dust magnet. The camera does have a cleaning mode but sometimes you just gotta get in there.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    For what it may be worth, I have understood the "cleaning mode" is also meant to freeze the IBIS so the sensor does not move when physically contacting the sensor. If your body has IBIS.

I've never really found it effective for shaking off any dust either.

5. pellicle

oddly enough after moving from a 20D into m43 (so from a system with a mirror shielding the sensor from an amount of falling dust to one with an open sensor) my first observations were "no more dust bunnies" ...

in fact I'd so much forgotten about them it wasn't until I picked up (meaning bought) the A7 (recently) and started using it that I was again confronted by the same stuff that drove me nuts before.

If one does any local area contrast masking to give punch to images it makes cloning even harder (either before or after) as such treatments exacerbate this.

vexing

6. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There should be a shutter type device that shuts down when you remove a lens

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There should be a shutter type device that shuts down when you remove a lens

8. pellicle

I'm not sure that would make a lot of difference (but there already is one in there, the shutter) because for instance zooms push and pull a lot of air in and out.

I'll be more careful in "facing the camera down" from now on on changes ;-)

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The best practice is the have a blower handy whenever you change lenses. Yes, it's an extra time consuming step...but editing out dust spots take much longer and more annoying.

The A7 wouldn't have any dust removal feature. Just shut it off and remove the lens and give it a wet cleaning if deemed necessary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    IIRC the Canon Eos R has that feature

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fortunately this hasn't proven necessary for me, what an inconvenience that would be! On a one hour shoot I change lenses frequently, up to 10 times or so. After a shoot with a lot of changes I blow out the sensor chamber when I'm back home. On rare occasions a big spot just flies in on the sensor and makes itself visible in the finder. If I have the blower with me (not often), I'll blow it out; otherwise a (dry!) puff of air from the lips will have to do, and if that doesn't work, the healing brush of Lightroom is called to the rescue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iansky

Iansky TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    I do find that when changing the lens, once the new lens is fitted I run the cleaning option and it helps reduce most of the sensor dust - I must agree though that a blower is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Being in the dusty desert Southwest of AZ, I found this routine a good compromise if I don't want to have dust spots plaguing my shots.
    I also routinely blow out my bodies and lenses when home to prepare for the next shoot.
    For some, it's humidity that is a concern for their gear. Here, it's dust and heat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I tend to ride my motorcycle off-pavement, and so I habitually use a blower on the sensor and my lenses (and recharge my batteries) at the end of each day. But like Ad, that healing brush has saved many a shot for me.

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I get it. Here in The Netherlands dust and heat hardly ever are a problem, though we had a dry and warm spell of over a month last summer. More reliable weather-sealing would be a boon here :) .

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. pellicle

so don't rely on the weather sealing is what you are saying. I guess when I'm back in Finland again I'll still zip-lock bag my body and lenses when coming back in from a day out in -20C

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. sapoeijoek

sapoeijoek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    Edwin
    When I run the cleaning mode, I always point the camera down. Usually run it a few times. I know it doesn't help much but I believe it would work better if we point the camera down. I use a rocket blower every now and then.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.