1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A question about the A7s for print and pro uses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Everybody know about the full frame format. In this case, having 12MP until size can be printed a still, which pro uses allow; advertising, poster, print, fashion, social, product shot, stock, etc?

I know before and at the beginning of the digital photography era the cameras had less MP, but as I took my first steps were analogous and enters the digital world recently I have doubts.

Thanks.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've printed 6 Mp images at 16 x 24 and they looked pretty good so you should be able to get at least that size without problems. That's a guess though since I don't have a 7s. ;)

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I've printed a 7 MP image 90x60 cm too and it looks perfectly fine.

For pro usage, 12 MP is plenty. I don't know a single stock photo site which doesn't take 12 MP photos. Also, it's more than enough for the most common types of advertising, i.e. magazines and websites. For billboards, it depends, but usually the clients are happy if the image is awesome - never heard anybody complaining about the resolution. You just can't crop that far in post.

Also, for weddings and events, 12 MP is a huge advantage as you will save terabytes and terabytes of storage in the long run.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    As long as you have a clear image and kept the noise down you should be more than fine.

5. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    I've seen plenty of nikon d3 images printed big and that had a 12.1mp sensor

6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

^This.

I've printed 18x24's that look immaculate with a Panasonic G2's 12MP sensor and goreous 16x24's with my old Canon 5Dc's 12MP sensor. The massive-sized pixels of a FF 12MP sensor with modern tech would be pretty incredible. There's abolsutely no reason why the Sony A7s won't be an awesome stills camera.

7. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Arizona Highways is the only magazine I am aware of that requires submitted photo files over 18MP.

8. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I really don't think that they would make a 2500$ camera that wasn't made for professional use.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

9. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Which is absurd since magazines don't print that much resolution anyway.

And the quality wouldn't visibly suffer at all if you upsized a 12MP file to 24mP if it was shot at low ISO with a quality lens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That does seem a strange reqirement.

11. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    And another thing, when I stream pics to my Apple TV, I usually upload a 2mp image. I view it on a 60 in tv and it looks fine. Wouldn't that be far less mega pixels than you would use for printing?

12. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    This was a 36mp jpg down sampled to 2mp

It looks fine to me... Don't know how it will look after I upload.

The best reason for having more mega pixels in good cameras is cropping ability now.

13. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin

• Like Like x 1
  14. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Agreed. The way they word the requirement is weird too. They initially suggest an 8MP camera is sufficient, but require files at minimum 18"x12" @ 300 ppi RAW. The only time I've seen a submission guideline like it.
    http://www.arizonahighways.com/DigitalGuidelines.pdf

15. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    While I agree with your conclusions that's not the best example. All HD screens are only 2MP. 4K is around 8MP. Everything is going to get downscaled in HD. High quality printing can actually utilize a much higher resolution but the difference is in how closely you can view the image before the details break up or get pixelated.

Stand less than a foot away from a large HD TV and you can see pixels. A comparable high quality print from a 36 MP camera should have much more detail printed at the same size and viewed from the same distance.

It isn't that there isn't a difference it is that there isn't an APPRECIABLE difference. 12 MP seems to be right at that point of diminishing returns. For most printing needs it is just as good. Much past that and very few people can tell or need the extra resolution.

16. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Even Shutterstock accepts 4Mp images.
    The only thing is that you can't crop your pictures like you can do with a 24 or 36MP sensor...

17. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Perhaps you should be thinking about the A7. It has 24mp, and you'll save a few dollars.