A question about A7II and A7R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    There some trick for get mute the shutter? Im know the A7S, A7SII and A7RII have silent mode.

For some of my works is essential, in my Panasonic GX7 I have it, and all the current models of Panasonic M4/3 have that option with electronic shutter, in Sony only some models.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    A big fluffy blanket. :p
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    It's a mechanical shutter, with noisy, moving parts, Emmanuel. Unless you buy a camera with an electronic shutter like your Panasonics, there's no way to make it any quieter unless you, as Dave notes, muffle it with something. Your Panasonics have a µ4/3 sensor, which is 1/4 the size of the FF sensor in the A7 series. So Panasonic has a much easier task enabling an electronic shutter on their cameras. I'm still kind of astonished that Sony was able to get it to work on a FF camera at all. So maybe the A7III will have it?
  4. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Don't dream too much about silent mode since it also removes some capabilities or features you can not use when in this mode. Download and read the manuals (a7RII silent mode has a full page of can not do's when activated )
  5. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Thanks to every one.

I know the difference of the sizes of sensors. But dont think the M4/3 its very inferior as some people theorize, I dont want another infinite threat about VS VS VS, I only like make photos, but I can say in my experience that the GX7 its better and i like more than the NEX-5N. The A7 serie are another story.

What functions are inactive in A7S and A7RII when Silent shutter use?
  6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    In silent mode, min base ISO is ISO 100 and the read out is in 12 bits rather then 14 bits which might loose some dynamic range... From practice, I can get sharper images with e-shutter in slower shutter speeds, but you have to watch rolling shutter like with gx7 though A7 grip is much better to hold it. GM1/GM5 have 10 bit read outs and are better with rolling shutter... A7/A7R sensors came from older dslr sensors. A7S and A7R II sensors are made for the mirrorless eg A7R II has BSI, faster process, etc...