A picnic in Fremantle

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Skipperjonce, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Took the family for a little picnic in Fremantle last weekend. Couple of shots below:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91438856@N06/8332410711/" title="DSC00216_RJFinal by Skipperjonce, on Flickr"> 8332410711_22d9fd2c2b_z. "640" height="426" alt="DSC00216_RJFinal"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91438856@N06/8332406983/" title="DSC00233_RJFinal by Skipperjonce, on Flickr"> 8332406983_f84e78b35a_z. "640" height="425" alt="DSC00233_RJFinal"></a>

I've been playing a lot more with manual settings this last week. Starting to get the hang of things now but still wondering what this bokeh is that I keep hearing about? These were both shot with the SELP1650 btw.
  2. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    nice pics mate as for bokeh you need to set your aperture wide open and have the backdrop a fair way back and your subjects close that should get the back ground nice and blurred or more commonly known as bokeh.
  3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yes, and additionally different lenses have their own inherent bokeh characteristics. Bokeh are the areas in your photo that are out of focus, and it's appearance vary depending on what comprise those areas (twigs, foliage, structures, or shadows etc). These out of focus areas can blend into random blobs and patterns that can either be very smooth or quite busy. Bokeh can be found at the background or the foreground of the subject and can sometimes become either an enhancement or a distraction depending on the subject.

When you use small aperture settings on your lens, the depth of focus in the image will increase - which minimizes or even eliminates bokeh altogether because everything will be in focus.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Looks like a lovely winters day
  5. Skipperjonce

Dec 27, 2012
    Aha, thanks for the nice simple explanations. I've read a lot about bokeh but it always seemed to be in the abstract.

So far, I have the kit lens' - SELP1650 & SEL55210. I am correct in assuming a prime lens with a wider aperture (SEL16F2.8?) would give me the opportunity to shoot candid portraiture more in the style of nianys?

Also, is there a simple formula for calculating the bokeh distance with certain lens and apertures?
  6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    There probably is a formula but I don't know it. Both of your lenses are capable of producing good bokeh, for a practice try using your sel55210 on aperture priority set it to wide open then get your subject as close as you can get a decent focus on with a nice backdrop in the distance the further back the background is the better the effect will be to a point. So say a person from about 10 or so steps away with a garden background at least 30 steps back should produce some nice bokeh. a little experimentation with both lenses and you will have it down pretty quickly I'm sure.
  7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Here's a couple of examples with the 55-210 that you have.

SEL 55-210 - ƒ6.3 1/400 ISO125 210mm

SEL 55-210 - ƒ7.1 1/400 ISO100 190mm

I don't think the 16 ƒ2.8 is really suitable for what you want.

For portraits like nianys, look at the lenses she is using. For native lenses, the 50 ƒ1.8 will give you what you are looking for. For cheaper alternatives look at legacy lenses. 50mm lenses can be found relatively cheaply on ebay and with an inexpensive adapter can give you fantastic results (but manual focus only).

There are a lot of big legacy lens fans on this forum, so it's discussed a lot. Also do a search for 'bokeh' on Flickr or other photo sharing sites.
  8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree with dioptrick...... well said

The number of diaphragm blades themselves are a reliable indicator of whether to obtain a bokeh as a nice mist or a hard . Generally, the zoom lenses tend to produce a bad bokeh although not always the case. A nice bokeh is especially important in very bright targets because their larger apertures of diaphragm can produce a minimum depth of field. It is also very important for targets portraits, as the portrait photographer prefers short depth of field to remove the background by highlighting the subject.

Nex5n and 16mm Wide Angle 1/60 ƒ/4 ISOAUTO 16 mm

Chinatown by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

Nex5n and 55-210mm 1/320 ƒ/6.3 ISO auto
    DSC02455 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

Nex5n and 18-55mm 1/80 ƒ/5.6 ISO 3200
    Flowers on my way by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr
  9. Skipperjonce

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks ChangshaNotes, those pics have inspired me to play some more with the 55210 and it has fast become my preferred lens. After an afternoon experimenting, I am getting the hang of distances and things for a good bokeh. This is my favourite. I call it 'My Ball!'

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91438856@N06/8360178846/" title="DSC00357-2 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr"> 8360178846_bac0fe1d00_z. "640" height="426" alt="DSC00357-2"></a>

I have read all I can find in the last couple of days on legacy lens and decided that is definitely worth a crack. I already have had some success with AMF using peaking so the switch to full MF shouldn't be too painful. Also, managed to nab a Minolta MD 50mm 1.7 from Ebay UK for $26 delivered to Oz! Delighted! Got an elcheapo adaptor flying in from China too so I will get some playtime in with that in 2 or 3 weeks.
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    ^^ :thumbup:

You'll love the MD 50 and MF is quite "addictive" if I may say ;)