1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A note to American photographers

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Imasphere, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    Hello American photographers. As a Montrealer, I have noticed that the biggest photography store here usually sells their Sony lenses the same price as B&H and that often their specials are lower than the New York store. Add to that the fact that you guys are now obtaining at least 20% extra on the exchange rate, I thought some of you might be interested in checking out there prices. I noticed that the prices are usually better on lenses than on camera bodies. Here is there URL: Lozeauhttp://www.lozeau.com/en-CA/products/lenses/sony/p/param/1522,Sony+NEX-9999,true. Keep in mind that these are Canadian prices and that I do not know if they ship to the US but if ever any of you are in our city, it might be worth a look. You should also know that here in Quebec, we are slapped by a huge 15% sales tax, but if they do ship to USA, you would only pay the federal tax which is 5%. I think you can also have that refunded which might be worth it if you ever buy a $1400 lens. Hope this helps some of you e-mounters and by the way I do not work for that store.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    Is the Sony warranty international though? Also have to consider customs duties. But might be a nice find in some cases

3. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    No I doubt that the warranty is international. You would have to send the item to Sony Canada if you had a problem. As for duties, Canada and the US have a free trade agreement so I doubt duties would be very high. I think in some cases it might be worth it bit in others no. I just found it interesting that the prices were lower in this case. We Canadians are usually the ones paying more for the same products as in the US. When I bought my NEX6 battery, Amazon USA had it for $31 bit the same battery was $80 on Amazon Canada.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks for the useful info ! Sony is overpriced in the US. For whatever (stupid) reason. If you compare Canon prices, they are about the same at B&H (e.g. EF 50/1.4 USM is $399USD vs $477CDN which comes to roughly $381 USD, but no free shipping to the US so it's a wash in the end).

I missed when CDN fell again, just recently it was on par with or even slightly higher than USD ?

5. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's only been in the past six months or so. The dollar dropped with the price of oil...though thankfully, not as much as the price of oil.

6. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Yeah right now it's costing about 80 ยข US for $1 Canadian dollar.

7. pjtan25

pjtan25 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    You might also want to check out Henry's
    Their prices on some lenses are even better than B&H (even at par,and before currency exchange).

For example:
    The Sony FE 24-70mm f/4 is only CDN$999.99 whereas it is CDN$1,129.99 at Lazeau and US$1198 at B&H.

http://www.henrys.com/81971-SONY-FE-24-70MM-F4-ZA-VARIO-TESSAR-T.aspx

I normally compare prices between B&H, Henry's and The Camera Store.

8. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Yeah, I've seen some real good prices at Henry's also. I think they might be the biggest camera store in Canada.

9. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    I bought something from Canada last year. Biggest difference was the shipping. It's more like $30, whereas US shipping of cameras and lenses tends to be more like $15-20 for under $750 items. I looked up the duty issue at the time and there wasn't a duty on the small item I was purchasing. While that might not be much if anything, I do hear stories of people's items getting stuck in customs, maybe b/c a customs form wasn't completed correctly or something and it takes a while to resolve.