1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A new toy: RX1R

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bargainguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    My foray into the Sony world has not been cheap. This, from a devoted Nikon shooter. Last year I started with the RX100, then the RX100 Mk. ii, then an a7ii, 55/1.8 ZA, 28/2 FE and a plain ol' a7, the last four all just this summer. While the a7/a7ii are fine cameras, I wanted something a little more stealthy for street shooting. Something compact with fantastic glass, great IQ and a near-silent shutter.

All that thinking led me down a rabbit hole to the RX1. When I first heard of this camera a few years back, I was thinking no way, $3K for a single focal length compact? Must be some camera to ask that kind of coin. I thought, I'll never be able to afford it.

Fast forward to now. Started doing some more research on the RX1 / RX1R / RX1Rii family and got intrigued all over again. OK, this time, I'm in, but I can't afford $3K. The search to find a nice used one is on.

Searched all the usual suspects (ebay, CL, NY discounters, camera shops all across the US, camera forums) and came up somewhat empty. It looked like all the RX1s I could afford sold before I could even reply. Hmmmm.

So last nite, I put the thought out to the universe in the form of a WTB: post on another camera forum. Surely someone out there must have an RX1 at a price tag I can afford.

Within an hour, got a response from someone who lives a couple hours away. Price was good, fellow seemed friendly, and most importantly, he had the EVF for sale as well, an accessory I consider mandatory for this camera unless you get the RX1Rii with the pop-up finder.

Drove down there this morning, and by 8am, had a real RX1R with EVF in my hands. No time to play with it yet, but it certainly seems like quite the camera. Reminds me a little bit of the Leica CL when it first came out (not that I could afford one of those back then either, but I had rich friends who occasionally would let me play with theirs).

Curious to see if anyone else has fallen into this RX1/R/ii rabbit hole as well, and what your experiences with this camera are.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Did you get time to evaluate it before the battery went flat? ;)

Seriously, it's a great camera - I wish I could afford one myself

3. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Good point, they do have a reputation as battery-eaters. This one came with the Sony battery as well as a couple aftermarket batteries and the external charger.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    A couple of years ago, Best Buy cleared out the original RX1 for $1300. That was quite a deal.

5. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Funny you should mention that figure. That is exactly what I paid for the used RX1R, EVF and extra batteries etc. Oh, and he also threw in a Fotodiox grip/baseplate, another one of those mandatory accessories. The camera is quite hard to grip without it, unless you get Sony's TGA-1 thumb grip that fits into the accessory shoe at something like $200 new. Gulp.

Be warned - Sony-branded accessories for this camera ain't cheap. The Sony lens hood will set you back something like $180 new. For a lens hood? For that kind of coin, I'd expect it to play Waltzing Matilda and make my coffee in the morning.

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've wanted one for the longest time. I've considered the setup you now have, but I've figured that the RX1 with the EVF isn't much different in size from an A7x body+35mm. So for now, I'm holding off. Hopefully in three or four years after the RX1RII's release, I'll be able to pick one up for the price you got yours!

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Its a great little camera! I wish I could afford it :) Enjoy ;)

8. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    You got a great deal. With the lens hood, I would just print one instead of buying one.

9. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    28705022083_a063da1335_o. fine ales by Don, on Flickr

Grab shot of a painted wall with the RX1R, wide open at f/2. Image at full resolution straight out of the camera. No tweaking, sharpening, level matching or the like.

What impresses me about the RX1R is the edge-to-edge sharpness of the image even wide open. I can see pretty much every pore in the wall, the way the paint was applied, the cracks in the wall, etc.

Further testing today tells me the sweet spot for the Sonnar is at f/4, and I'm leaving the aperture there unless I need more light or the ability to stop action faster. No hesitation about using it wide open, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Looks like plenty of detail to me, especially for wide open.

Like others, I've long been intrigued by this camera. But don't have the coin, so I will have to live vicariously through you. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  11. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    29270265781_4ab33817ea_o. old house by Don, on Flickr

This time a 3D subject, shot at f/4. Just like the image above, straight out of the camera at full resolution, so you can get an idea of what this camera/lens combo is capable of.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Landshark

Landshark TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Bob
    You will love this camera, I resisted for a long time bought the RX1r, fell in love, amazing camera, but then the RXIr II came out and I had to have it, sold my RX1r and started shooting with the RX1r II. It ruined me for my play camera, on my recent vacation to Italy, I loved the files so much that I sold all of my Fuji gear and switched to a7RII system. Enjoy the RX1 will become a classic, by the way I did not understand if your camera came with a hood or not, if not there are some copies of the Sony out there. I also recommend you carry at least three batteries, two usually is enough but for those just in case moments one more is great to have

13. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    The macro mode is not bad either...if I may add

VioletsS.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1
  14. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you both! I had forgotten about macro mode...it would have come in handy when I was out shooting yesterday. And no, I didn't get a lens hood with the camera, so I'm looking for something suitable. The Sonnar does not seem to be particularly susceptible to flare so I'm not in any particular hurry.

I notice that the EVF gets some color reflections from strong side or backlight. I'm assuming the EVF has some multicoating just like the lens does. I know the built-in EVF on the RX1Rii has the T* designation, but it also seems to be the subject of the recall because of light leaks resulting from the use of the pop-up EVF entering the camera as stray light.

I debated whether it was worth it to step up to the RX1Rii. Used prices for the ii are a little north of $2500. If I understand the major differences correctly: pop-up EVF in place of the flash, 42mp instead of 24mp, and user-adjustable low-pass filter. Same lens as far as I know. So in the end, I couldn't afford the ii easily, and didn't think those differences would be enough to justify double the cost, at least for me.

15. Landshark

Jun 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Bob
    I loved the RX1R but the built in evf and 42mp chip made me jump to the RX1R II. Both take beautiful images. Even though it never fell off I did worry about losing the external EVF, if you find your self worried as well, some people have come up with a few DIY solutions, if I remember right the simple one used a rubber band around the EVF some how, might be worth a search.
    I also forgot too mention the great Macro abilities, with macro I think the older camera might be better because of the smaller chip, it has a little more depth
    highly PS image form RX1R
    Pon30s_zpsd15597e1.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Has the price of the Rii gone up recently? When I was investigating the RX1/1R/1Rii, I was seeing the ii in the $3300 range new. Now when I go to B&H, the price is $3898. Japan earthquake wreaking havoc with production, perhaps?

17. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I think it's simply currency adjustments. The Yen is up 20% against the Dollar in the last year.

18. Landshark

Jun 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Bob
    Wow, I just check that is shocking, very large jump in price, I think it is probably both issues

19. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Despite my falling in love with this camera, it does have a quirk. The exposure compensation dial - on the back right corner of the top plate - is too easy to bump off the 0 setting.

I loaded a bunch of pix last nite, and thought to myself, boy, those look a little dark. Then when I went out shooting this morning, found I had dialed in -1.3 stops compensation unintentionally. No wonder!

20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Almost every camera I've ever owned had some dial or setting that was way too easy to change (or forget about), too often resulting in ruined photos. I've tried to get into the habit of checking the main info display on the LCD before I start shooting. But sometimes that just throws too much information at me, and I miss the obvious.

That's one of the reasons we have beer. :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1