A new (to me) lens...

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Some bonus money came my way, so I decided to get a new lens. I was strongly considering the Voigtlander APO_Lanthar 110mm to go with my Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 65mm, but my wife encouraged me to consider the Batis 135mm APO-Sonnar instead. She thought the autofocus would be a big plus. I also think the optical image stabilization at that focal length will come in handy. And I have not really broken into macro yet, so the 1:2 of the 65mm is plenty for me now. So I ordered the Batis 135.

If you cast your mind back nearly 50 years, my dad loaned me his Exa II camera with a 35mm Flekogon and a 135mm Schneider Xenar to learn about 35mm photography. So that 135mm length is one I have been missing for a LOT of years. The Batis is amazingly light, actually a few grams lighter than the CV 65mm and not much longer. So I think my new travel kit will be a Batis 25mm, the CV 65mm, the Batis 135mm, and my tiny Heliar Classic 40mm .

I read many reviews and opinions about the Batis 135mm lens before I ordered it. I noticed that most of the criticism of the lens was from people who had never used it and its praises were from those who had. The two big complaints are its maximum aperture of f/2.8 and its cost. My years with Zeiss ZM lenses for Leica have made me very comfortable with f/2.8. In fact at 135mm, I would seldom find f/2.0 or f/1.8 to be useful for the travel, and landscape type shots I tend to make. And I figure the OIS is worth at least one stop of light gathering for low light shots. The cost problem was mitigated for me by the bonus and my wife’s encouragement and the lower-than-introductory current pricing.

The new lens arrived today so other than the ‘round-the-house-make-sure-it-works pics, I have not had a chance to make any images with it. But I confirmed that it works and that I can hand hold a 1/50 sec indoor shot with acceptable sharpness. Nice pictures will need to wait. But when I get a few, I will share some images in some thread around here.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Congratulations on your new lens... Happy shooting!! I don't have a full frame digital camera yet and I am shooting with a pair of Canon DSLR Cameras (7D2 + 6D2)... I also have a Sony A6500 (APSC Format) and shoot it with the 50mm f/1.9 OSS or the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lenses for portraiture. As soon as I get my A7iii, I want a 135mm e-mount lens. I am seriously looking at the Samyang 135mm f/2.0. I have heard that this is as sharp as the Canon 135mm f/2L lens...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom