1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A new (to me) lens...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by chalkdust, Mar 11, 2019.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Some bonus money came my way, so I decided to get a new lens. I was strongly considering the Voigtlander APO_Lanthar 110mm to go with my Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 65mm, but my wife encouraged me to consider the Batis 135mm APO-Sonnar instead. She thought the autofocus would be a big plus. I also think the optical image stabilization at that focal length will come in handy. And I have not really broken into macro yet, so the 1:2 of the 65mm is plenty for me now. So I ordered the Batis 135.

If you cast your mind back nearly 50 years, my dad loaned me his Exa II camera with a 35mm Flekogon and a 135mm Schneider Xenar to learn about 35mm photography. So that 135mm length is one I have been missing for a LOT of years. The Batis is amazingly light, actually a few grams lighter than the CV 65mm and not much longer. So I think my new travel kit will be a Batis 25mm, the CV 65mm, the Batis 135mm, and my tiny Heliar Classic 40mm .

I read many reviews and opinions about the Batis 135mm lens before I ordered it. I noticed that most of the criticism of the lens was from people who had never used it and its praises were from those who had. The two big complaints are its maximum aperture of f/2.8 and its cost. My years with Zeiss ZM lenses for Leica have made me very comfortable with f/2.8. In fact at 135mm, I would seldom find f/2.0 or f/1.8 to be useful for the travel, and landscape type shots I tend to make. And I figure the OIS is worth at least one stop of light gathering for low light shots. The cost problem was mitigated for me by the bonus and my wife’s encouragement and the lower-than-introductory current pricing.

The new lens arrived today so other than the ‘round-the-house-make-sure-it-works pics, I have not had a chance to make any images with it. But I confirmed that it works and that I can hand hold a 1/50 sec indoor shot with acceptable sharpness. Nice pictures will need to wait. But when I get a few, I will share some images in some thread around here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Antonio Correia

Antonio Correia TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2019
    Setúbal, Portugal
    Good choice Bert !
    Post your photographs here. :) 

3. Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe TalkEmount Regular

Sep 14, 2018
    Congratulations on your new lens... Happy shooting!! I don't have a full frame digital camera yet and I am shooting with a pair of Canon DSLR Cameras (7D2 + 6D2)... I also have a Sony A6500 (APSC Format) and shoot it with the 50mm f/1.9 OSS or the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lenses for portraiture. As soon as I get my A7iii, I want a 135mm e-mount lens. I am seriously looking at the Samyang 135mm f/2.0. I have heard that this is as sharp as the Canon 135mm f/2L lens...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Congrats, look forward to seeing some photos

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.