A-mount lives!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Sep 19, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    So while everyone and their grandmother expected Sony to announce the mythical A9 pro oriented E-mount camera, Sony announces a Pro oriented A-mount. I thought A-mount was dead? Also - does this mean Sony will countinue to build A and E mount like complimentary systems? What's going on?

Sony shows off 42MP A99 II with 12 FPS continuous shooting

• Like Like x 1
  2. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    " and their grandmother" :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I thought A-mount was at its end as well. Is there that much of a following or pro user base for A-mount?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    It's a nice camera and kinda want it but I won't rush out to get one anytime soon.
    I still have the some worthy A-mount lenses but not willing to invest anymore.
    Sony has only 1 model of FF body and its 4yrs cycle is a long wait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Really like that camera...

• Like Like x 1
  6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    This camera looks like it will be a win for Sony. I loved the body of my a57 and frequently miss its ergonomics for my big hands. Unfortunately the only A mount lenses I Own are the 200 2.8 and a few couple basic kit zooms from Minolta, and my Tamron 70-300. Curious to know more about how the focus system works. Super excited for that 5-axis.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Any thoughts on where Sony is going with this?
    With a shrinking camera market, it doesn't seem viable to support 2 overlapping platforms. Unless Sony views A-mount and E-mount as complimentary platforms where enthusiasts can use mirrorless and pros can use it's DSLRs.
    Check this out

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Cool video. But I'm sure that is a native A mount. Really hoping all that goodness is available to third party mfg's as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is a confusing time. The discussions have been running hot and heavy over at DP Review as to the future of E-Mount.

1- APS-C has clearly dropped to the bottom of the list. As one that is not willing to pay the premium price, I love my $500 A6000 and my lenses that I picked up second hand from $10-250. I am not willing/able to pay $2-3000 for a camera body, $ for a hobby, $1-2000 for a lens no matter how much I enjoy it.

2- After floundering for so long and being the but of serious photographers for a long time Sony was/is making some cameras that any professional would be proud to own.

3- We all were under the impression that A-Mount was dead. This one came out of the dark. Of course, the high price comes into play again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'm sure owners of the 135mm f/1.8 are happy at this!

Also smart for them to reuse the A77 body for it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    No way. The a6300 is still a hot contender. And as you said so is the a6000. With Canon jumping into the mirrorless game with a serious contender, I doubt aps-c is near the bottom of the list. Just my opinion however.

I'm really excited to get one in the hand and see how it feels. I've been holding out for a price drop on the a7rii but this might have just overtaken my thoughts on that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    My only concern (aside from the price ;) ) is that this is a one-off. I agree with Gary, it seems unlikely that in this market supporting both A-mount and E-mount on an ongoing basis is viable, but then what do I know? :hmmm: In a year, no doubt people will be saying that this camera is really the last A-mount Sony will produce, the same way some people are suggesting the same about E-mount APS-C and the A6300. For someone like myself who has no A-mount glass, a jump into that platform probably doesn't make any sense, but the ability to have really great autofocus and native long zoom lenses is certainly enticing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

My thought was more about the lenses. Making any new APS-C E-Mount lenses is what seems to have dropped off.

14. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    If Sony put out 2 more A-mount FF bodies ($1500 & $2200 target) to show their commitment. Then, they might gain back of what was lost to E-mount users or have moved on to different brand.
    I don't know about everybody else but there is one lens that I do not want to give up is the FE 90mm macro G OSS.
    IMO, that lens is great eventhough I don't do much of marco but extensively for portraits and others.
    BTW, Sigma just listed the new 85mm f1.4 Art on their website.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    correct me if i'm wrong but there is already a STRONG showing of third party A mount lenses from Sigma / Tamron / Zeiss ? i'm sure these lenses are capable of resolving those 42 mp not to mention a much more rounded out native set of lenses. The lenses us E mount owners have been praying for? it's all already there. for folks using the a77ii for sports i see this as a BIG step up. maybe i'm completely crazy tho. I feel like a lot of sports / wild life photographers have been begging for this Camera. would love to get a feel for the Sigma 12-24mm on this body!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  16. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Yes, I think you are right. And they, according to Sony are the target customers for this camera. See around 10:45 of this video presentation.

17. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Well, the A77II did well. And note that they're cutting costs by using the A77II body for the A77. So they're doing little more than putting the internals of an A7rII into an A77 body--including the focusing system. The dslr one is identical to the A77 (79 points) and the on sensor one is identical to the A7rII (399), while putting them together in so they can have a system that's better than both.

In the context of keeping A mount alive, it's a brilliant move and should solve any cost issues moving forward.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Interesting point. They don't need to mfg from the ground up really anything new. Smart move that hopefully nets them $$$ for some sweet R&D on the upcoming models. I'd actually considered the a77ii before getting the a7ii the only thing stopping me was my want of full frame. And the promise of Phase Detect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    It is! BUT, this is a big BUT. I do think plenty are skeptical and they don't want to get burn...including me. :)
    ATM, I think some of the third parties lenses are actually exceed Sony's lenses lineup. It sucks that the third parties are reluctant to support Sony users.
    I've 3 cameras with video capability and rarely touch it. I would love to have a plain jane camera of the 99ii version without the 4K/video at a reduced cost.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Alpha mount users can probably thank Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Olympus and all the other companies that buy Sony sensors! It's their contributions that allow Sony to keep their various lens mount systems! :)