1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A local is selling Eliechrome DLite 2 portable portrait studio lighting. Can I use that with my nex6

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shaolin95, Sep 19, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Assuming the firmware on the 6 is the same between as the 7, there's quite a list of lighting options on a menu that can be selected, apparently to cover most any lighting source

3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    There are 3 versions of this
    D-Lite 2 ( or 4) 2 is 200W/s, 4 is 400W/s. I know a little about this but only comes with cabled or optical trigger ( can be a pain to use with Nex-6 built-in flash if the optical trigger is programmable )
    D-Lite it 2 ( or 4) similar but newer and includes Elinchrom Skyport Eco radio remote ( same as speed but without remote control of power level). Would normally fit directly on your NEX-6 MIS shoe.
    D-Lite RX-2 ( or 4) is newest model but now includes Skyport speed ( which allows changing of power level from the remote )

With the advertised kit, you will need WL remotes in addition to the strobe kit for max convenience.

Manuals for all 3 versions available : http://www.elinchrom.com/product/support_downloads.php
    Older models ( D-Lite it and D-Lite ) at much lower in the page

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the replies.
    I contacted Cowboy studios and they replied with this suggestions. What do you think? :)

5. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    What would you use the D-Lite's for ?

These are basic studio strobes that work on AC with the supplied 10-15ft AC cable ( no portability here) but they are powerful enough to use small to medium size light modifiers. Direct flash power at ISO 100 would be around F45 at 1 meter. Try that with any portable flash

6. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien

I am not sure i understand your options menu ? Do you mean flash menu ?

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Studio flashes are ok if you have studio or are willing to set them up regularly. Being AC powered their use isn't as straightforward as with speedlites. Modern speedlites are pretty powerful and manual ones are cheap. With manual speedlites I would consider:

Yongnuo YN-560 III (it has got radio trigger receiver inside)
    Godox V850 (lithium battery & radio trigger inside)
    GODOX WITSTRO (bare bulb and lots of power)

Besides these you need radio trigger transmitter that suits your flash and camera, a couple of stands and light modifiers. Even shoot thru umbrella works very well. Speedlites don't have enough power to fill very heavy light modifiers like very large soft boxes. The bare bulb models are much more powerful. I am waiting for a cheap manual one to turn up.

I have three Wansen WS-560. Work ok and are very cheap at about 40 USD (now I would get YN-560III or V850) and 2.4 GHz flash triggers, work very well,

• Like Like x 1
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The OP's question made me think of the menus dealing with brightness / white balance....daylight, shade, cloudy, fluorescent, flash, custom, etc, etc...starts around page 96 in Sony's NEX Handbook.

https://docs.sony.com/release/nex-7_handbook.pdf

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well I think I am going to just get the nissin i40 (if it actually does TTL with legacy lenses) and a reflector instead for now. :)

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Can u post a link for the i40 u pick out. I'm in the market for one myself and seem to be having a helluva time finding the right product online

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    TTL will probably work with legacy lenses. You need something that will send signal to i40 if you want to use it with TTL remotely but it has got manual mode with power adjustment and that is really all you need for remote flash.

Diffusers will eat lot of light so I think it is better to use reflector. GN 30 and -3EV will mean just GN 4 and that means aperture 2 at 2 meters (flash to subject). Small diffusers won't eat as much light so those will probably be useful and really handy.

I have made several small reflectors from white acrylic sheet, they work very well. Reflective umbrella is of course much better but it needs floor tripod but these reflectors can be used with table top tripod.

These are handy too:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Portab...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3a8329f5f1

That particular one may be too big for the flash but it works very well with my manual flashes, you may need to use ISO 400 or so,