A little sad today (the gear to blame) :(

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Feb 3, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Took the family for a very brief walk (just an hour) to the local zoo today.
    (note:really small zoo, not what you'd see in other countries, no lions, elephants and that kind of animals, mostly local and/or small animals)

Another couple (friends) with their kids came with us and the husband, which is not too much into photography (he likes the art but doesn't know much and doesn't bother with the settings - shots all Auto Inteligence Mode) was shooting with a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX100 (Sony DSC-HX100v Competitors).

Unlike like me, he managed to take some amazing IMO shots. Not competing in any way with him, its just that I feel my gear today was not suitable and feel like I lost a good oportunity for some nice photos :( (I know there's always a second time)
    The far to reach animals were the issue...
    I was using my MD 50mm f/1.7 and 18-55mm kit lens. My recent purchase, the MD Zoom 35-70 f/3.5 hasn't arrived yet, but even if I had it today, I don't think it would have been up for the job either...

What focal lenghts do you find appropriate for these kind of shooting (zoos)

Here's a few relevant to the topic zoo photos to make this thread less boring :)

8440974761_9d94c1380f_b.

8442065116_53ab43db68_b.

8442063152_978aed70e3_b.

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Are those crops? From reading other threads on a Nikon site I frequent, the very popular 70-200 focal range seems to be a great at the zoo lens. So I'd venture to say, something 100mm or more, maybe even a 200mm would be a good zoo lens and the 50mm for times when the animal are closer. I'm looking at some 135mm lenses now and if I need to, I've got my 70-300mm Nikkor I can throw on.

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Chad, yeah #1 and #2 are cropped
    #3 is not cause I could get really close to the iguana glass (not an issue there with either one of the lenses I had)

I've always believed that I would need the 50-210 and/or 18-200 E-mounts but unfortunately those are out of my budget :(

I think the MD Zoom 35-70 would still be short for these...

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I used the minolta 70/210 for my last zoo trip and I loved it.

For the indoor parts at the zoo I used my 50mm 1.4

sy7uqe5u.

One of my favorites at 210mm.

uzaryzuj.

And the 50mm

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nick first of all the three posted pics are excellent.
    I really think for zoo pics a far reaching zoom is a convenience that it's hard to do without. I read the 55-200 in E mount is optically excellent. Other than that a faster prime around 135mm is perfect, you can find awesome legacies with aperture around 3.5 or 2.8 (they are faster ones at F2 but they are much bigger, and more expensive). In decent light an excellent 3.5 zoom is extremely useful.

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Claire ;)

yeah I was thinking an MD 35mm f/2.8 for the next lens in my legacy hunt but may chance route and go with either an MD Zoom with longer focal length (50-135, 70-210, 75-150) or even maybe an MD 135mm prime

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nick, 135mm was one of my favorite focal lengths on film, which probably explains why I really like my M-Rokkor 90 so much. Even on an APS-C sensor a 135 is a very useful focal length (roughly 200mm). As Claire said, you can pick up a 135/3/5 fairly cheaply. Even a 135/2.8 can be had inepensively if you shop around a bit.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Nick, I think the flamingo shots is actually pretty interesting, it's just over exposed bit (not surprising on a sunny day). The sharpness on the neck is very good. Spot meter to the white body and it would have given you more detail and I would have used exposure comp to dial it back even a little bit more. It also looks like it was shot with a wide aperture given the somewhat shallow DOF. Outside at a zoo in those conditions I doubt I ever shoot anything wider than f5.6.

I think zoo's are tough because conditions are tricker than you might think. I mean animals in cages seems like it would simple but you gotta shoot in poor light, through glass and netting and deal with crowds. I go and try and find the images that will work and let a lot of them go because conditions aren't right. Last time I went to the zoo I took my Vivitar 28/2 Close focus. I think next time I go I would probably take my Rokkor 100/2.5 (gives me nice 150mm EFL) and my 35-70/3.5 macro to get close to small animals (and I can play with angles to minimize reflections).

Also the NEX is so good at high ISO that I let it do it's thing in low light and do noise cleanup in LR if need be. Sometimes I shoot in bursts when in low light to help mitigate problems with low shutter speed.

7821229734_ed4f129aa1_b.
    Panthera by dixeyk, on Flickr

7821060202_f6a323bd82_b.
    That Damp Snake by dixeyk, on Flickr

7821069864_ae19050ca6_b.
    Two Inch Fangs! by dixeyk, on Flickr

I think the Konica Hexanon 135/3.2 is a really nice lens for this kind of thing. It's pretty compact, has a reasonable MFD and gives you good reach at just over 200mm EFL.

9. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I'd have to agree with Dixeyk -- I think there are some pretty good shots even in the crops outside of the exposure and aperture issues. The spot metering advice is great, but I tend to cheat and shoot brackets if the lighting is at all challenging; if I can't get what I want out of raw processing one of the single bracketed shots, I've always got the option to take them to HDR and see if I can tone compress them and still keep something realistic looking.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I agree with Chuck, bracketing is a great approach as well. I hadn't thought about the HDR option.

11. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    If the manual focus Minolta MD 70-210 f4 is optically similar to the AF 70-210 f4 then that lens (aka beercan) has a very good reputation. Bit heavy though. :) I know the AF version goes for around £80 to £100 so the manual focus version should be cheaper? Otherwise you can pick up a Minolta MD 135mm f2.8 for around £30 to £40 (aka pocket rocket) which is nice and small and light in comparison).

12. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ooh, I bought an MD fit 135mm 2.8 for a tenner a while back. Interested to try it out :)

13. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nick I'd be willing to part with my gorgeous CZ Jena 135/3.5 DDR, shoot me a pm if you want details.

14. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    It's an excellent little lens and a tenner is bargaintastic - mine was 3 times that price. :)
    I just find the focal length (200mm equivalent in film camera terms) a bit long for general use. Good for the zoo though. :)

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    good photos, if a little overexposed, but they look great, in this summer I'll take the 55-210mm to the zoo, I hope to get good results too.

16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for all the tips guys & girls ;)
    Also for the lens suggestions (but I've made a "pact" to only buy/use Minoltas MD/MC's :p)
    So, I think I'm going hunting for an MD 135mm then ;)

Keven, I agree - its over expossed. The sun was really intense there this morning...
    I don't remember the aperture that was shot with but it was definately between 4-5.6 (S-mode, ISO 200, 1/250). My metering mode was set to center (didn't really thought about the changing to "spot" or use bracketing - should be usefull for the next time). I had exposure comp. set to my default +0,3EV and forgot to play with it at all :O

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    agreed

Totally agree. Your shots are fine, just way over exposed.

When you start getting away from the preset modes you have the opportunity for spectacular or disappointing shots.

When taking shots that matter, IE Birthday parties, Christmas gatherings, etc I always switch over to one of my stock lenses and preset modes. I don't want to miss getting a family memory because I had a setting wrong.

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Dave, I don't know if by this you mean Auto i-mode and/or AF but if that's the case, for me going back to Auto or AF would be like a retrocede and would take away all the fun I find in photography. If I didn't understand correct, I apologize :)

My personal preset modes are fixed for indoor, low or natural light, shooting (mostly for my sons portraits) so those would definately not work here...

On another note, thankfully I have the files in RAW too, perhaps I could fix exposure in PP?

I'm not giving up the fight though - First task is that, until I buy an 135mm or long zoom, I'm going there next week with the MD 35-70 and filled with the tips/suggestions here and trying again ;)

19. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    This is the lens... From the same day shot with my iphone a7eqe3uj.
    It peeks great and is easy to hold. Very light, compared to a vivitar series 1 210
    And optically better to my eyes.

Cost me about 99.00 US and is my favorite Zoom

20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Now, that a big lens (compared to the small Nex body) :eek: