...a little more love today.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Dec 4, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    My 18-200SE showed up today. Newer black version than original supposedly (and supposedly made by Tamron). Built VERY well. Zoom ring is stiff, but I'm sure it will loosen up. Feels/handles GREAT on NEX-6, and BONUS, AF is not bad at all! Seems again like what I was used to on my old D7000. Easily as fast as the 16-50 which seems odd to me. Wouldn't you think the 16-50 would FLY with so little to move? Anyway, loving the camera a bit more today, because I expected the 18-200 to possibly be TOO slow in AF, but it isn't!

More lenses on the way...

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    And so it begins… :)

Congrats on the new lens (and the pending ones).

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The words "slippery" and "slope" come to mind.;)

4. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I want to like the NEX system, I just wasn't wowwed right out of the box like some other cameras. Having said that, I'd actually PREFER it require a little more effort (photography skills) to get what I see. Not a lot... just enough to feel like it is ME, not the camera, making the photos.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats on the purchase!!! ;)

Damn, I too want the 18-200mm but unfortunately its out of my price range atm...
    That's why I'm looking in an legacy equivelant

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think I know where you're coming from. When I picked up my first NEX I can't say the camera wowed me. It took some time for it to really appreciate what it was capable of. I still think the UI is clunky and the handling takes some getting used to but with one of my manual focus lenses attached it really does remind me a lot of shooting film (except for the LCD of course) which is what I was after. I shoot aperture priority or full manual with MF lenses and I am finding that I very much enjoy the experience. The IQ is a nice bonus as well. I think more than any other camera I have ever used the NEX benefits from being paired with the right lens.

Also, despite what Sony claims I just treat my 5n like it has no AF at all...I consider it my affordable version of an M8.

7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I took a B/W of my son reading his homework yesterday. It wasn't stellar, so I didn't post it. It occurred to me while I was cropping it a bit, how much it looked like a darkroom print (in a good way). Only a couple of years ago, I was still teaching darkroom as part of Photo I and II at a community college. Students came in hating having to shoot FILM (Tri-X... gasp!), but left wanting their own darkrooms at home! It wasn't me, it was MAKING something you hold in your hands, put in a white mat and black frame, and display as such. There is/was a quality to B/W prints made in a smelly college darkroom, listening to the latest underground music, hearing the students tell tales of the cruel world, that is just lost in my Epson printer. This print of my son had some areas that were a bit clumped up, the DOF was a little narrow, but it somehow was okay. The quality of the image just reminded me of film, and that's not a bad thing. That hasn't happened in a good while. I'm off to shoot more B/W...

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That brings back memories. Shooting Tr-X or HP5 on my OM1 or old Canonet. FWIW I have found two tools that I quite like. I use Nik Software Silver Efex Pro 2 for BW conversion and True Grain to adding realistic grain to images. I just need to find someplace that sells that darkroom smell in an aerosol can.

9. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    You guys are making me miss my darkroom too... but certainly not the smell! :)

10. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    This was the photo... nothing special.

alex3.

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    When I got my 5N the package included the Tamron branded version of this lens. It took nice pictures but the handling match-up with the 5N body felt awful.

12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Congrats on the new lens! I have the LE too, and I am very happy with it. About the lens stiffness, it is a built in "feature" to reduce lens creep (doesn't really work to my mind, still creeps). You'll get used to it though. And as superzooms go, it's really not anywhere as bad as people seem to say. Reviews say the old one is slightly more consistent but I honestly haven't found any pictures yet where I was thinking it was bad. It is a bit on the pricey side but that is about the only complaint and my own fault for getting it almost when it came out.

13. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Congratulations for your new purchase, we hope you to share some pictures soon that is a rule, Greetings friend.