• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A little macro work

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My wife said she needed a new needle in her sewing machine the other day. They do get dull what with all the sewing she does. So I put one in for her and kept the old one for some investigation. I could 'feel' the end wasn't sharp and it felt like there was almost a 'burr' on the end. Decided it was time to get the good eyes out and take a look. Used the A7ii w/Micro Nikkor 55+PK13 tube + adapter to get this shot.

DSC06027 (2).JPG
ILCE-7M2       0mm    f/1.0    1/4s    ISO 50

I think this may have run into some needles holding the fabric in place. She claims it hasn't.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just for comparison, I also took a photo of it with my A7iii w/24-105 lens.
This is what that turned out like, handheld, whereas the A7ii is on the tripod.
ILCE-7M3       105mm    f/4.5    1/160s    ISO 800

Not a bad showing for a zoom IMO.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
A more distinct look at the 'burr'.

DSC06030 (2).JPG
ILCE-7M2       0mm    f/1.0    1/8s    ISO 50

ILCE-7M2       0mm    f/1.0    1/25s    ISO 100

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Naturally, it's on the internet. This originally was on a TV show.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
Naturally, it's on the internet. This originally was on a TV show.
Thank you, I thought it would be! I enjoyed that, but it did not cover the more complex curves and grooving of the machine needle. Maybe that's just a more complex stamping.
And all this time I thought it was little elves. :rolleyes-20:
Nope. I thought each one was handcrafted by a blacksmith and a master lathe worker! :laugh1:

I find metal work very interesting, and actually wish I had been a machinist.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Having worked as a machinist during part of my working life, I can say there is a certain amount of satisfaction in fashioning something out of metal.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
Lucky man. I got the interest in the one year at a new school where I could do it. In this final school year, I was also envious of the more experienced kids who could do a project in silver. That I did realise, ten years later, and set up quite a good home jewellery workshop. All hand tools, though, no machining, apart from the polishing wheel. Yes, it is very satisfying.

And like photography now, I could make a person happy by making, or repairing, something for them. Unlike photography, I even made a few pennies out of it!

Top Bottom