A little knowledge is dangerous

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Oct 31, 2014.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have been looking to pick up a Minolta 135/2.8 with 4 elements in 4 groups. It is said to be the best of the Minolta 135's and have also to be quite close to the Elmarit 135 of the same era. I was on a forum not long ago and noticed form a graphic posted in the discussion that the 4/4 version of the 135 could be identified by the little diamond marking above the aperture ring where all other versions use a little white circle.

fast forward a few weeks and I notice an eBay seller (Henry's Cameras) with a Minolta MD 135 PF yet the image sure looked like the 4/4 version. The 4/4 versions typically command a much higher price than other versions of the Minolta 135's. After doing some research I came to the conclusion that the eBay ad was the 4/4 version but mislabeled. I ended up with the winning bid of $31 and it arrived today. It is indeed the 4/4 version and it is in immaculate condition.

Moral of of the story? It pays to do a little research. I can't wait to try it out.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It's amazing how lucky people who prepare are.

Nice one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I can confirm that the wrong version of the Rokkor 135mm F2.8 is not a great lens.

Although perhaps the one I tried was underperforming due to so called "cleaning marks" on the rear element. I don't believe anybody that says "will not impact picture quality" especially if they are the eBay seller.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Patience and knowledge pays off.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The internet makes something like this a lot simpler than it might have been.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
  8. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    I love henrys, spend a lot of time there, I drag my wife in too, in the used store. Have picked up a few nice lenses they did not know they had, in the used bins.
    Last one was a Canon FD 24-2.8

My Minolta 135, unfortunately not 2.8, but 3.5, is quite nice