1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A light, small, versatile prime kit

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WoodWorks, Jun 25, 2016.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Many of you know me to be a zoom lens guy, mostly for the versatility they give me while traveling. But I've recently acquired a Loxia 21mm f/2.8, and that lens has given me the wide angle component of a pretty versatile prime lens kit: Loxia 21mm f/2.8, Sony/Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, and a Contax G 90 f/2.8 with the Techart autofocus adapter.

They all fit, along with my A7II, in an old Eagle Creek Side Trek bag that I've owned for many years. It even holds an iPad mini and a mini tripod as well, along with extra batteries, SD cards, and a few other small accessories.

This will give you some idea of the overall size of the components:

DSC00461.

I store my lenses in padded neoprene pouches, and although the exterior of the bag is padded, the pouches provide an extra layer of protection for them and the camera body.

DSC00462.

Ready to go, and it doesn't look too much like a camera bag, does it?

DSC00463.

In action. I salvaged the padded strap from another old bag. But the bag itself can also be worn around the waist as a fanny pack.

DSC00465.

No doubt some of you are wondering whether the 21-35-90 combo is versatile enough. What about a 28, or a 50, you may well ask. Well, take a look at this image, which I also posted in the Loxia 21 thread:

Focal Lengths.

As you can see, the 35mm slots in right in the middle the the 21-90mm range, and the A7II's resolution easily provides cropping ability from 21mm to 135mm. So the 55mm f/1.8 that I've owned for a couple of years has been rendered superfluous, and is up for sale on eBay as I type this.

I'm a lazy man, and I found that I only swap lenses when there's a significant difference between focal lengths. And the truth is that if I had the 35mm mounted, I almost never swapped it out for the 55mm. So off it goes, and its proceeds will help to make the cost of the Loxia more palatable.

Faster lenses would only be larger and heavier, and for the type of photos I mostly shoot, the extra light-gathering capability that a f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens would provide would go to waste. f/2.8 is plenty for me 99% of the time, especially when I can fit all three lenses and the body into this tiny bag. Can you imagine the size and weight of the equivalent Canon or Nikon kit?

Travel light, travel fast! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. BobM

BobM New to TalkEmount

Apr 28, 2016
    Robert M. Mason
    Thanks, David. The Eagle Creek bag is very close to what I'm looking for; your ideas match my own.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, unfortunately the new Side Trek has been redesigned, and I'm not sure it's as good a fit for this kit as my old one is. But hey, why don't you buy it and let us all know how well it works? I just LOVE spending other people's money! :laugh1:

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice set up, the bag is quite stealth. It doesn't scream camera bag!
    Which can be beneficial in certain circumstances.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Nice! I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 spends a lot of time on the camera. :) I bet it will even make a pretty impressive 50mm crop.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm a (camera) bag addict and that bag is cool looking, lol :D
    Nice and light travel setup which I imagine is even more important for your motorcycle travels ;)

7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Sounds a lot like the full frame equivalent to my kit
    12/2 samyang, 24/1,8 Zeiss/Sony and 60/2,8 sigma.
    Nice to know Im not a freak :)

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You're not alone, Nick. I've got three other "official" camera bags, and a few other "multipurpose" bags. I suspect I'll still take the zooms when I'm motorcycling, though. The whole idea behind getting the Loxia was to have a lightweight "wander around" kit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What makes you think I'm not? :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    This is right up my alley, David. My exact preferred focal lengths - 21, 35, 90. I wish Sony would come out with a small 90/2.8. I think it would be a good seller!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    How do you like the Techart adapter, @WoodWorks@WoodWorks ?

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I didn't much like it on my old A7. But on the A7II it enables PDAF, which makes a huge difference. The mechanism is pretty noisy, but focusing is accurate and fast. Given the size and IQ of the Contax 90, I don't feel the urge to look at any other lenses in that focal length.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'm right with you on the lens choices. I need a 21mm, though. I'm considering the CV 21mm f/1.8 over the Loxia.

14. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Ok I asked for that one :D so let me rephrase
    Nice to know Im not the only freak ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Nice set up. I use focal lengths 25 - 55 - 90.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I was originally thinking 24-55-90. But I just can't bring myself to leave that 35 behind, it's so small and light and sharp. And based on how often I shoot my 24-240 at ~35mm, it seems to be my goldilocks focal length. And then I started comparing FOV charts, and that 55 just became the odd man out.

17. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree the 55 focal length is hit or miss. In most cases it is miss for me, but I find myself using it indoors because it's my fastest lens. I know you have IBIS, but when I shot my 10 yr old's dance, I found anything under 1/80 wasn't sharp because people/kids move. I know you're not a big people shooter, but when the time comes... Just something to consider.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Believe me Gary, it wasn't an easy decision to unload the 55. But the cost of that 21 put a big dent in my wallet, and selling the 55 will help lessen the pain a little. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    That kind of makes me miss my old Contax G trio they were so compact and light. My current trio is a bit longer (28, 55, 85) and all AF which means they're a bit bigger and barely fit in my side bag. I do wish the Batis 85 was a 105 because 55 and 85 is a bit too close.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app