1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A good zoom lens...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Dec 25, 2012.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ....that doesn't break the bank :D

Well, I've been looking to buy a zoom lens for my Nex-5 for quite some time.
    For all those times that changing lenses isn't very convinient (I don't have many lenses yet - just 3) and, as ashamed I am to say it, I like the idea of a all-day all-around lens to use :)

I'm (was) looking for something along Sony's 18-200mm zoom range in a legacy form (because I can't afford the SEL18200 now) but can't find much available, so I would like to hear some reccommendations from the fellow Nex users for a good cheap-ish legacy lens in the widest zoom range available, atleast I can try something cheap until I will be able to afford the SEL18-200 (and something that doesn't look too "odd" on the Nex's small body, not very heavy, long etc - the SEL18200 already looks a bit odd on the Nex IMHO)...

MD 28-70, MD 35-135, MD 70-210 etc??? Anything else? Other brands?
    (I've read some reviews about the Minolta lenses above)

And can someone explain me how the zoom range factor changes when using lecagy lenses on the Nex system? (IF I've read it correct and it does)

TIA
    -Nick

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    On all existing NEX cameras, the crop factor is always 1.5, this applies to all lenses, native or adapted.

I would not have my hopes high for legacy zoom, especially on the wide side. A few of us like the MD 35-70mm/3.5, but it's not wide at all on NEX. On the tele-side, there're more choices. I've heard good things about MD 70-210. I've had good experience with Nikon Series E 75-150mm/3.5, and Vivitar 70-150mm/3.8 one-touch.

I think it's best to have a mix of native and adapted lenses, zooms and primes. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm shooting, I often bring two cameras.

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Come to think about it, the reason SLR zoom starts at widest 24mm, is because that's already very wide on film.
    You might be able to find some zoom designed for crop sensor starts at 18mm, but these typically do not have an aperture ring.
    I have a 18-70mm Nikon DX (1.5x crop) that I like on my Nikon DSLR, but I never adapted it on NEX.
    I'd just use the 18-55mm native kit lens for that range.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  5. txbkst

txbkst TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    I have been very happy with my Canon FD 35-105 macro. Someone on FDReview.com refers to it as a "small stack of primes," which I find to be somewhat true.

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for all the replies ;)

So if I understand this correct, the focal lenth of an adapted lens changes because of the 1,5 crop factor of the Nex system???

I'm looking for something which doesn't cover the same focal length as the 18-55mm Sony kit lens...

TIA
    -Nick

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I know you are looking for an all in one but you might want to consider the SEL 55-210 to compliment your kit. It's quite small (for it's reach) and has OSS. It's a fair bit cheaper than the 18-200 and can easily slip into a jacket pocket. Of course you will also be able to use AF.

[​IMG]

NEX-5N ƒ5.6 1/400 ISO 100 133mm

8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yup, that's my 2nd option and the route I'll go if I can't find anything ;)
    The 55-210 is half the price than the 18-200 (probably more if I buy a used one) and it is something I'm considering - but I thought the loss of a 40-50euro legacy lens isn't much if I purchase one and don't like it

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I like the Minolta MD-Rokkor 35-70/3.5 macro (that would have an effective focal length of 52.5 x 105 on the NEX). I did a write up of it last month as I recall.

https://www.talkemount.com/f12/rokkor-35-70-3-5-macro-review-1750/

I like the lens a lot. It was cheap at around $50, has really nice IQ and the macro feature (more of a close up really) makes it a very flexible lens to take anywhere. It's a large lens like almost any zoom lens will be and the constant minimum aperture throughout the zoom range is nice.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fully agree with dixeyk on the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5. I was also positively surprised by the quality and useability of the Minolta 50-135/3.5. Called to diner, can't elaborate now. :)

11. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    This lens is also quite a good deal at the moment (£169 with the £50 Sony cashback) but I guess that applies to the UK only?
    Sony E Series 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS - Only £219.00 - Park Cameras Online

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The 28-70 (cheap build), 35-135/3.5-4.5 (not so good at both ends of the zoom range) and 70-210/4 (heavy, not so good at the short end) Minoltas aren't the best choices in my opinion. I recommend the Minolta 75-150/4 (bit limited zoom range but otherwise excellent at f/5.6), 50-135/3.5 (very good at f/5.6, excellent at f/8) and 35-105/3.5-4.5 (not extremely sharp, but very even performance across the zoom range). The 50-135/3.5 complements the native 18-55 nicely and delivers the goods; it shouldn't be too expensive, I've paid € 40 for my best sample if I remember correctly.

No need for any mental calculations or conversions in this case. A legacy lens with a focal length of say 50mm behaves the same as a native 50mm NEX lens. So simply forget about it. A lens never changes its focal lengths, irrespective of the camera it's mounted on.

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks ;)

What about the 28-85 (I assume quite rare to find) and the 35-70 (lots of those all over ebay)?

TIA
    -Nick

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The MD 35-70/3.5 is quite a nice lens, at f/5.6 and beyond it's sharp and contrasty and even the corners are acceptably sharp. I've used it on µ4/3 where centre resolution is even more critical. Take care that you get a plain MD model with macro setting, this is the best choice IMHO; the Rokkor models are not very contrasty, I have no experience with the plain MD model without macro setting.

The MD 28-85/3.5-4.5 is a different beast. It's very sharp in the centre across the zoom range, but corners are simply too unsharp for me. I haven't used it so far even though the zoom range is attractive.

15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Curious what you guys and girls think I should pay for a MD 35-70mm? (seller's describes the lens as clean, with no dust or fungus etc but un-tested :?)
    I've been watching one that is for sale and I already contact the seller and he told me to make an offer so I don't know what to respond...

TIA
    -Nick

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just checked completed auctions on eBay where the lens actually sold, and prices ranged between 25 and 50 euro. In The Netherlands I'd pay at most € 30 for a good sample, but Minolta MF lenses don't sell well here. Obviously your seller isn't sure if the lens is OK, so you'd better check if he will accept a return.

17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

The one I'm watching costs €26 (after some negotiation with the seller) but he cannot guarantee its condition that's why he won't accept returns :(
    According to its description: "...the lens is fine no dust,fungus that i can see,blades are nice and snappy. Please note ive not run a film through it so with this in mind i sell as untested...im no expert have to be honest so sold as is i believe it to be right..."

What do you guys think???

18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Looks good enough to me, but then I can live with the risk of buying a dud every now and then. It's your call :).

19. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Finally received my copy today!!! Super excited.

I wasn't aware that the zoom ring turns the opposite way - that took a little time getting used to it :D

My copy looks like in mint condition, optically at least, can't see any sign of fungus, dust etc and the photos produced seem clean

Externally its good but not 10/10 (with the added bonus that it came with the oe lens hood).
    However:
    1) the aperture ring turns a little too smooth (I don't know if that's good or bad). I think its bad, because comparing it with my mint copy of the 50mm f/1.7 which got from Claire here, it doesn't share that same "click"/lock to place sound and feel...:?
    2) the switch to macro plastic ring (I don't know how its called) has a slight minimal play which doesn't seem to affect anything... :?

20. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    1) Does the aperture ring have click stops? It should; if not, I would complain with the seller.
    2) A minimal play in that spot doesn't seem a problem to me.