A first few with the A7r mark ii, mark ii

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by pdk42, Jun 23, 2017.

1. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 13
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    terrific shots! I also have the OM 100mm f2.8 and enjoy using it. Small, lightweight and good rendering.

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Nice shots Paul, you seem to be getting the hang of the A7R2 quickly.

4. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    I'm impressed with the mono results from it.

The 16-35 is delivering - very nice lens. Not uber, uber sharp in the corners, but more than good enough. I'm really impressed with its flare handling, which is a much more important factor in UWAs IMHO.

5. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 20, 2014
    Hi pdk42, a question, How do you feel about IQ, handling and operations against m4/3? Do you have similar gear for both systems?

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Excellent images! Love the temple shots.
    The Zuiko quality is evident in the last image.

7. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Well, it's still early days, but here are my thoughts (all A7rii compared to the Olympus E-M1ii):

Image Quality
    The Sony is clearly better - in terms of resolution, DR and noise at high ISO. However:

• In good light I doubt most people would notice the resolution difference unless you're printing VERY large (bigger than 20x30"). 20Mp really is enough for most people.

• DR - all the tests show that DR on the A7Rii is wider by about 1-2 stops than on the E-M1ii and that might matter in some circumstances (e.g. landscapes). However, the E-M1ii is no slouch and TBH whilst the DR on the Sony is nice to have, it's not my main driver for buying the Sony.

• Low light/high ISO is definitely better on the A7Rii. That's the main reason why I bought it. Having said that though, for static subjects the much better IBIS on the E-M1ii levels the field (I can reliably shoot 6-8 seconds handheld using the 12-100mm at 12mm on the E-M1ii). Of course, that won't work if you're shooting sports, or theatre or such like. This is my primary driver for buying the camera.

FF vs u43
    There are pros and cons of u43 vs FF that have been well discussed elsewhere (DOF, ISO, noise) so I won't go into that here. IMHO there is very little that u43 can't do in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Even shallow DOF is achievable with exotic wide aperture lenses (at a price and size/weight penalty of course).

Camera handling and features
    • The EVF in the A7Rii is better than in the E-M1ii. Resolution might be the same, but the Sony seems to be more lifelike and with better colours.

• I prefer the tilting screen to the E-M1ii's swivel screen. Much better for street shooting.

• In almost every other way the E-M1ii is superior. More features (Livetime, Livecomp, focus stacking, better WiFi, HDR modes, Hi-Res, ...), much better IBIS, better handling, smaller lenses, faster operation, better silent shutter, better AF, fully weather sealed, better battery life. Perhaps it's unfair to compare the E-M1ii with the A7Rii and we should compare it with the A9, but I don't have an A9 :))).
    Olympus/u43 vs Sony as a system
    We all know that Sony is getting there, but u43 still provides a significantly better range of lenses. There's everything from f1.8 fisheyes right through to the 400mm f4 and 100-400mm zooms (double the FLs to get equiv fields of view). Not only is the range wider, but you can choose a number of strategies:
    • small and very nice prime set (the f1.8 and f2 primes)
    • exotic but bigger primes (f0.95, f1.2 and f1.4 primes)
    • slow and cheaper zooms (some of very good quality)
    • "Pro" zooms - f2.8 weather-sealed
    On top of that there is a decent flash system including a very fancy ring-flash.

Then there is a good choice of bodies, all using the same crop - so you can have tiny bodies like the Panasonic GM1/5 or bigger SLR-like bodies like the E-M1ii.

u43 is a very good system
    You can see from the above that I'm still a big fan of u43. I can't see me dropping it anytime soon, although if the A7Rii works out for me then I'll probably slim it down and run two systems. I don't see me using the Sony for action or big telezooms, but as a wide-angle and normal lens camera for landscapes and low-light I think it ultimately offers more than u43 - but u43 isn't as far behind as you might think.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Excellent thread Paul :2thumbs:

9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2017
    I like you thoughts on this comparison, i'm new to Sony FF too and i think i pretty much agree with everything your saying even though i'm comparing an EM1 mk1 and A7R mk1 so there are some differences, I'm wondering what small MFT camera you have owned or own and what one you prefer for the smallest option. I'm thinking about getting a EM5 mk2 when they come down in price (just because the gain in 20mpx of the PEN-F isn't enough and the noise performance of that camera is poorer and its too expensive) FYI I used to have an EM5 mk1 and although it was too small for my hands for when i meant business :p i miss it for its tiny size and the EM5 mk2 shares the same batteries as the EM1 mk1.

10. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    The E-M5ii is a lovely camera. It's got the sexiest shutter sound I've ever heard! As regards the Pen F, I don't think the noise is worse - if anything it's a little better ( I have the Pen now and had an E-M5ii in the past). However, I think that the Pen is worse value for money - apart from the sensor it's inferior to the 5ii in almost all ways. It's still a nice camera though, even if you shoot raw and never use the JPEG arty farty dial (which is how I use it).

11. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    I had a look again and your right from what the sensor tests say they have the same ISO performance. The Pen-F is a cool looking shooter but so is the EM5 especially if you get the Silver model which is what i chose before, I suspect that Olympus will release a mk3 with the new sensor to bridge the gap between EM1 mk2 and the rest because they originally said the EM1 mk2 was going to be £1500 on release which was about the same as the first one but then they got crazy with the processing power etc and put the price way up and they lost me I'm afraid to say. I'm happy to stick with the EM1 mk1 for now.
    Have you ever thought about a Fuji X-T2? No IBIS i hear you say straight away lol the IBIS in Olympus cameras is pretty special!

12. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    I dabbled with Fuji but it did nothing for me. X Trans raw files are a PITA to process and they don't work at their best for landscapes. Then there's the lack of IBIS, baked-in NR and IMHO not great handling. I do like that tilting screen on the XT2 though.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 20, 2014
    Thank you for your comment, we think the same about the two systems :)

I have not the money to run two complete separate gear, so I will sell something, like the big panaleica 42,5 and 9-18 to afford Sony 85 1.8 and samyang 14 2.8 af, staying with 15mm and 75mm for m4/3 ( ah, it's always difficult to separate from these beautiful lenses ).

Also sorry for the little off-topic :)

14. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks for your opinion, dxo hasn't tested the fuji sensors for some reason, why didn't you like the baked in NR? in the reviews it mentions that the Noise is pleasant as in very little colour noise and a pleasant grain.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Interesting comments Paul, one thing I have found with the A7R2 compared to the GH3 and EM5 Mk2 is the much better shadow detail and dark areas. It's amazing what you can extract from A7R2 RAW files when it looks like there's nothing left to extract from, blacks really are black and noise free, also highlight extraction is excellent, again when looking a RAW file and thinking there is no highlight detail recoverable it's all there just needs a bit of work in PP.

• Agree Agree x 1