1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A few NEX 7 portraits

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by nianys, Jan 6, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I've quietly settled with my NEX 7 since a few days.

6d179da71eb2cce143d1bb520e780c43_12c.

At first I was enamored with the high ISO performance, but now I'm pretty much back to my manual flash routine.

e94499d7f3abef215f8c40f58cc7a94a_12c.

52ae4486c2f9d68b0183ede7694ce880_12c.
    The main issue with no flash jpeg at high ISO is nailing the white balance (I know, I know, I still don't want to shoot RAW, no use trying to change that).

a5f4982143d369b4727d4161ea9980cd_f01.

7df43065a1a89c1699aa6f40d2039083_12c.

I still shoot manual lenses on the 7, thought the black 18-55 I recently bought miraculously seems to AF quicker than the previous silver version I had (?!?).

49a266c5153a5fa753db5ff8681e580e_12c.

So far I'm a happy camper. I've dumbed down the TriNavi to offer only one screen of 3 custom functions (no cycling thru different screens), and the three controls offer direct access to aperture, shutter and ISO in all modes, which is freaking brilliant. I don't know what Sony plans to add to the 7's replacement, but unless they work out much super fast AF, I won't feel much compelled to upgrade...

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Cool, told you the AF was better on the 7 kit lens. I didn't realise that White balance wAs an issue of jpeg/fleshless shooting, I've been finding it really difficult! Love the pic of the pupster facing away.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Glad to see you're settling in w/ the 7. :)

FWIW I like the WB presets on my 7 - I mostly use "daylight" and "incandescent". (Basically never use "auto" anymore.) And of course when things get too weird, I just bump it over to B&W. ;)

4. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    It's more a case of indoor lighting can be a bit of a nightmare and with jpegs you need to get it right (in raw you can change the WB by adjusting a slider and/or using a dropper. Actually any artificial lighting can be a pain, I was in town tonight doing tripod shots and the mix of different colours of lights from very yellow to bright white was a nightmare for WB. Tried everything from auto to custom to incandescent to florescent and none were ideal. Never thought of doing a b&w conversion - might give that a go. ;)

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Here's one of my favorite recent B&W portraits:

sigma-stroll-2.

And here it is in color:

gaudy-colors.

LOL - I think B&W is just about the only way to nullify the distraction from two very different light sources and the neon purple trim on that sweater! ;)

Most situations aren't quite so bad. I usually just follow my newfound instinct and make the B&W call at the editing stage. (Easy enough to audition in LR4...)

Still seems just a bit blasphemous to me, a guy who used to buy Tri-X in bulk, but that is not the medium I am working with now.

6. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    One thing is certain. You have certainly settled in well with the camera. Were they bounce flash?
    I suppose there is little value in mentioning it again but I will, you have a beautiful little girl. And the results in JPEG are so good, well why change. Very nice!
    Bruce

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thx Bruce, yes those are bounce flash from the built-in unit !! I just set ISO to 400? any aperture I want (with me it's gonna be big old wide open 99% of the time), and adjust shutter. Hold the flash back with index and shoot with middle finger. I hate yet to cut off a little cardboard piece to hold it back in place. I think the result is pretty even for using a built in unit...

8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I know where you're coming from ;)

9. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    Your results looked great! Which picture mode setting do you use for portrait?

WB - Have you tried to customize your WB setting in the menu? If you go into the option menu under the WB setting (e.g. incandescent ), you can further refined the color.

If you come across HVL-F20AM for cheap, you could try it out. The unit bounces pretty well and very compact. The unit has a built in toggle for bounce/direct and can be used as a wireless trigger for sony flashes on 7.

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thx for the tip about the flash. Really to get an extrenal unit I'd need one that swivels. For bounce only the built-in unit is plenty good enough. I use Landscape at Contrast -1 for all my shots. Yes I'm aware of the fine tuning of WB that I use a lot, but mixed sources of light are a torture test for any camera I guess.

11. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Usual great pics there nianys! I'll be looking into getting a tilt/swivel flash too at some point, so I'll be picking your brains when I do! Though after years of TTL & A-TTL lens, I am a little nervous lol! But as you've shown, practice is key. :)

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thank you, and please feel free to ask for tips when you get the flash. Manual flash is really as simple as it comes, although I admit it can feel intimidating at first. NO need to be, it's really a matter of getting the hang of it. Once you do, It's simple as pie.

13. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Very Good Nianys has alway :)

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, count me among the fans of your portraits here. And add me to the list of those who would love to see you put up a short tutorial on how you go about using your manual flash. I have used mine on occasion, and sometimes to good effect. But mostly it's hit and miss.

With that new puppy, you have all the time in the world right now, don't you? :p

David

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Basically manual flash I set the ISO to 400, chose my aperture and alter shutter to achieve proper exposure. With a fast prime wide open at 1.8, ISO 400, shutter is good around 1/100th, and you can play with flash compensation. Just start bouncing it straight to the ceiling to start, until you get the hang of it.
    With the built in flash speed is limited to 1/160th, and if you don't want to stop down (like me), you'll need to play with ISO and flash compensation. I find Kelvin 4300 to be good for WB with flash.